Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Rig

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ooo and another question on the mobo when i look at the pictures theres only one 4 pin sata power connector for a hard drive. So how do you set up two hard drives. Does the Sata cable plug into two harddrives and one 4 pin connector.

Is this the mobo you are talking about???

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128323

I dont understand exactly what you are talking about the sata power connector cables or the one additional power connector on the motherboard itself??

That mobo has two 4 pin to sata power cables if thats what you are talking about. Sata harddrives have 2 different ways to be powered. The sata harddrives can be hooked up using a regular molex connector for power or either the Sata power connector. Some sata harddrives have both on them for you to choose which method to power the drive. Some sata harddrives may only have the sata power connector and not the regular molex connector. The reason they included those 4 pin to sata power cables is if you run out of sata power cables that are running from your power supply.. Some power supplies may only have 2 of the sata power connectors.. Powersupplies have many of the 4 pin power connectors which are called Molex connectors..

If your harddrive happens to have both power connectors on the drive DO NOT PLUG BOTH THE SATA POWER CONNECTOR AND MOLEX POWER CONNECTOR BOTH UP OR YOU WILL RUIN THE HARDDRIVE AND DESTROY IT...

Hope this helps..

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you do some research first itll answer the questions, their really is far to much information to post it all we would be here a very long time and the only other option is a step by step walkthrough and A i dont have the time for it and B i dont have the hardware. Read up the answers will come to you, rule of thumb is if you still have to ask alot of questions you dont know enough to do it.

Im not all that sure what you mean by power connectors either that doesnt make all that much sense.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Never mind on the hard drive question I figured it out myself by some research. Thank you guys for all your help. I did a lot of research on overclocking and figured out most likely how I am going to overclock it. I am just going to raise the fsb in increments of 5 MHZ, until I find the right spot. I'm pretty sure this will work, and this is how most websites say to overclock. And most people said that the RAM is good for overclocking and it is EPP certified, and it also states in the overview, "This is memory that’ll both overclock and stay cool, thanks to their huge black heatspreaders. This is a great kit for anyone wanting to max out their system’s performance!
." I am definitely gonna get this memory and I am now definitely going to overclock my system.

Edited by Drumbum667, 06 November 2006 - 08:17 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah just remember overclocking is dangerous, and truth be told pretty boring, it takes hours, sometimes days to get it up to its max stable and tweak it till its performing well and not pushing the heat output to far.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Ya I was doing it in my head and its gonna take forever. I may overclock it a little bit one day, and each day take a little more. Just to make sure that its competely stable. I may also overclock the GPU separately.

Edited by Drumbum667, 07 November 2006 - 11:19 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you cant overclock the GPU any other way than separately. You should probably use ATI tool to OC the card it doesnt take half as long to overclock the GPU as you can do it in windows and bench it on the same software. overclocking the graphics card is fairly common as its easy and gives a decent performance boost.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I thought when you adjusted the FSB it overclocks everything including the VGA , CPU, and RAM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nope it only overclocks the motherboard and parts directly dependant upon it, the graphics card is essentially its own little PC that communicates via the pci express port with the rest of the system. Only CPU and ram will be affected by messing with your FSB, just remember we cant recommend overclocking to anyone and even then only when the system is getting on and needs more power.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
These are my last three questions. While looking at cooling devices, they all say "Compatible with: Pentium 4(LGA 775/478). Does that mean it only supports the Pentium 4 or they are just using it as an example and that any cpu with those socket types will work. And another thing, is it worth it to get water cooling. Or should a fan do the job. The last thing, I just realized I needed to get a wireless adapter, and I was looking at this one Linksys Wireless PCI Adapter. The only thing I was wondering is if it goes into a PCI slot or a PCI express slot. Cause when I was looking at the picks it has two spots where it curves in. And on the PCI slot it doesn't look like it does that. But when I look at the PCI Express Slot it looks like it does do that. I could be wrong but I just want to clear it up.

Edited by Drumbum667, 07 November 2006 - 08:25 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

These are my last three questions. While looking at cooling devices, they all say "Compatible with: Pentium 4(LGA 775/478). Does that mean it only supports the Pentium 4 or they are just using it as an example and that any cpu with those socket types will work. And another thing, is it worth it to get water cooling. Or should a fan do the job. The last thing, I just realized I needed to get a wireless adapter, and I was looking at this one Linksys Wireless PCI Adapter. The only thing I was wondering is if it goes into a PCI slot or a PCI express slot. Cause when I was looking at the picks it has two spots where it curves in. And on the PCI slot it doesn't look like it does that. But when I look at the PCI Express Slot it looks like it does do that. I could be wrong but I just want to clear it up.

The zalman cpu cooling fan will work on all lga 775 applications yes even on the conroe core 2 duo..

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its PCI express it will always be denoted as PCI-e, thats just a normal PCI card. And as JRM said that cooler will fit just fine on any lga775 CPU.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
U forgot to answer my question about liquid cooling. Is it really worth it or will the Zalman be ok for overclock the CPU and GPU. Cause I was looking at this Zalman Liquid cooling thing and i was wondering a) if it was worth it, and 20 if it is worth how do I get the factory cooler off and the put the zalman water block on. And this is just a general question on maintenance of a computer. What should I do about dust and stuff and keeping everything inside the computer clean and dust free. My friend who has a crazy good gaming computer( He has a 3.2 GHZ single processor CPU) uses some air spray. Should I get that and just spray the computer and the inner parts every now and then or will that ruin any of the parts. And one more question, for CrossFire video cards on the ati website it recommends mobos with the Intel 975x chipset does it really make a difference. Cause the mobo I'm getting is Intel P965. Does that mean it can use the Graphics card but it can't use it in CrossFire mode.

Edited by Drumbum667, 08 November 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I really appreciate you guys helping me.

Edited by Drumbum667, 08 November 2006 - 08:44 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Eh, in my opinion, water cooling isn't worth it. The only time I could ever see recommending it is for someone who is absolutely FANATICAL about having the most quiet PC possible.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For cleaning i use a hoover, i just use ties to immobilize the fans then hoover it, works fine and much cheaper than compressed air.

Zalman water cooling is a strictly noise reducing measure its cooling wise alot worse than your average cooler. Water cooling is also very expensive you will be spending over 200 for a decent kit, and its a myth alot of the time that water cooling means noiseless, most kits still use 120mm fans and at best most people will only have one less fan but better kits use two or three fans and are difficult to fit to a PC. If you want water cooling you will also need a much larger case than the one you have picked.