Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Win98 problems

• Please log in to reply

claux2840

claux2840

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I really don't know what the problem is with my Win98 system. I'm using Win98 because WinXP runs slowly on our secondary computer. Anyway, it is a fresh install. About 5-10 minutes after Windows has been up and running, the title bars of all the programs I have running turn white, except for the place where the icon is on the title bar. The icon in the left corner of the title bar turns into a 'flying windows' icon. The font size gets bigger, and the start menu stops working. All windows that I start after this point are transparent and I can't see their contents. All the little down arrows in drop-down list boxes turn into '6's. My PC is unusable by this point. I'm suspecting a video driver bug. Any suggestions? :blink: :whistling:

Edit: Whenever I try to CtrlAltDel, the text in the little task window is really small and mispositioned. I'll try to post some screenshots soon.

Edit x 2: The screenshots are attached. One is a bit blurry but they should give you an idea of what's wrong. Notice how in the second one the start button is pushed but the menu isn't there.

Edit x 3: Also notice that the background of Google in the first screenshot is black. I don't get why that happened.

P1010145.JPG

P1010148.JPG

Edited by claux2840, 04 November 2006 - 11:30 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sounds worse then video driver
What you need to do is start the machine in safe mode.
Start the computer and start tapping F8 Pick safe mode this will load basic window drivers.
Cheers
Peterm

claux2840

claux2840

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok...in safe mode...now what?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok we need to see if everything works ok or does the screen play up like it does in normal mode. Safe mode loads basic drivers so this will help to detirmne if it is a video driver Icon will look bigger but is the screen like before