Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have followed the procedures stipulated by GeeksToGo, but still have &

• Please log in to reply

Stormfront_

Stormfront_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I am really new in this forum. Before signing up yesterday, I spent several days reading and hoping that I can go about this ala D-I-Y first, instead of troubling anybody here. I think I've done my best in following the instructions, and hope I am allowed to make this post as per suggested by GeeksToGo!, because I think I r e a l l y need help.

Over the years I have been pretty vigilante as far as protecting my notebook computer and the kinds of downloads I do on-line.

Now the past 5 months my computer has just gotten slower. I suspected it was malware that was causing this. So over the last two months I have been actively trying to clean my computer - with the help of the information that's available from the forum - but not much success.

When I boot up my Windows XP Home, over the last 2 months especially, I notice a window quickly appearing and closing every single time. I am not able to see what the contents of the window, and am not sure if it is a Command-prompt type window.

I have followed the steps on cleaning infections from the 'You Must Read' page (i.e. http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=2852). And the cleaners that we're told to download picked nothing up (to best of my knowledge).

I scanned with Ewido, AVG, and then later with Avast! ...and my system still looks clean. I mean, I did find a few tracking cookies (and 2 trojans sitting in an archived file - which I've never opened, yet - and now I've deleted them)

Anyway, scanning again with Ewido, AVG, etc. shows that the system is 'pretty' clean. I used Panda's on-line scanner (which took f o r e v e r - gawd, I don't want to go through that again!) and it picks up several tracking cookies (even the GeeksToGo tracking cookies), and detects SmitFraudFix and smitRem tools as malicious.

Now when I boot up Win XP Home, I see the same (or at least I think it's the same - it's just too fast) window opening or popping up, and closing real fast! The only exception is that this window popping annoyance does not happen at every boot. It now tends to happen every 3rd (or 4th) time I boot up (i.e. cold-boots and warm-boots included). This "new" quirk has only been around for the last 3 weeks in particular.

This is what I run:

- HP Pavilion 1000 Series Centrino Laptop Computer,

- Intel 1.86 MHz / 786 MHz,

- 512MB RAM / (504 MB),

- 80 GB HDD

- Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with Service Pack 2,

- I use a Sygate Personal Firewall (I know this is not in production anymore - d@mn you Symantec! - but it's the most comfortable and easy to use for me so far). I find ZoneAlarm systematically slows my computer down for some reason

- Avast! and AVG Free for Anti-Virus (though not necessarily running concurrently), because I can't afford Kaspersky or Panda, like I used to, anymore

- Spyware Software I own -- Ad-aware, Spybot: Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Ewido Anti-Spyware Free,

- I use Firefox as my browser (I do not use Internet Explorer - though it is installed on the system, just in case)

- I use Thunderbird as my e-mail client (I NEVER use Outlook or Outlook Express)

- I also use FreeRam XP Pro, A LOT (as in I very rarely had a need for this before), to help regulate my RAM especially NOW... when this computer is really starting to slow down. Unfortunately, after 3 or 4 hours of work... even with FreeRam XP Pro, there is no difference. It's as if something else is eating up my resources.

Please find my HJT logs (after a shutdown and boot up, with only the HJT directory window & HJT program/logfile open) below:

------------------------------

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:02:13 AM, on 11/5/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Mindjet\MindManager 6\MMReminderService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\SMTP Server Pro\SMTPListener.exe
C:\Program Files\palmOne\Hotsync.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\palmOne\LifeDriveMgrTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\palmOne\PalmOneLiveConnect.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.h...a...n&pf=laptop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.h...a...n&pf=laptop
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: SnagIt - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagItIEAddin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE" /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE" /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] "C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe" /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMReminderService] "C:\Program Files\Mindjet\MindManager 6\MMReminderService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Free Download Manager] "C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe" -autorun
O4 - Startup: LifeDrive™ Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\palmOne\LifeDriveMgrTray.exe
O4 - Startup: palmOne Registration.lnk = C:\Program Files\palmOne\register.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: BTTray.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\palmOne\Hotsync.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to AD Black List - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVANT BROWSER\AddToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Block All Images from the Same Server - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVANT BROWSER\AddAllToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All Files by HiDownload - C:\PROGRA~1\HIDOWN~1\HDGetAll.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by HiDownload - C:\PROGRA~1\HIDOWN~1\HDGet.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download web site with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlpage.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Highlight - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVANT BROWSER\Highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open All Links in This Page... - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVANT BROWSER\OpenAllLinks.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open In New Avant Browser - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVANT BROWSER\OpenInNewBrowser.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVANT BROWSER\Search.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\npjpi142_05.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\npjpi142_05.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to Mindjet MindManager - {531B9DC0-D8EE-4c76-A6EE-6C1E50569655} - C:\Program Files\Mindjet\MindManager 6\Mm6InternetExplorer.dll
O9 - Extra button: BlogJet This! - {8B3B5C14-AA21-44BD-A6A3-4FC2D958AD7A} - C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\DiFolders Software\BlogJet\blogthis.js
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: BlogJet This! - {8B3B5C14-AA21-44BD-A6A3-4FC2D958AD7A} - C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\DiFolders Software\BlogJet\blogthis.js
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: HiDownload - {F4FBA929-A891-492C-A0F6-5C79CC4F1742} - C:\PROGRA~1\HIDOWN~1\hidownload.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {14C1B87C-3342-445F-9B5E-365FF330A3AC} (Hewlett-Packard Online Support Services) - http://h50203.www5.h...DataManager.CAB
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg...v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - https://h17000.www1....loadManager.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/...s/msnchat45.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{0AE1703C-FF20-440A-ACB9-CDEA272F3A10}: NameServer = 10.213.17.1 10.213.17.2
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: widimg - {EE7C2AFF-5742-44FF-BD0E-E521B0D3C3BA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\btxppanel.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - WIDCOMM, Inc. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
O23 - Service: SMTP Server Service (SMTPMainService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SMTP Server Pro\SMTPListener.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe

------------------------------

As you can see, I am doing my level best to be as thorough as possible with the experience I'm having with my notebook computer. I think you can see that I have a sense of humor too - it's the only way to take this sort of @#$%^&*! everyday. Whoever coined the phrase "one step at a time" probably always used the elevator.

Anyway, I sincerely hope somebody would be able to help - I will be eternally indebted to you and I will name one of my Hamster after you.

Storm
==&==

Advertisements