Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply

Tyson83

Tyson83

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there, I am having a heap of problems with my Internet ever since I reinstalled Windows XP and I am hoping someone will be able to help.

Firstly, some relatively minor issues - and I don't know if these are important - when I turn my computer on I get about 20 Dial-Up Connection windows pop-up on the screen.

After I close all of those and try to log on to the Internet my password shows up as having 15 characters instead of the 5 that make up my password, and no matter how many times I type the correct password in it immediately changes back to the wrong one - the interesting thing is I can still connect to the Internet with the wrong password.

Now the real problems start. Once I am on the Internet using either IE or Firefox I will be fine for a few pages but then the web pages start taking minutes to load and eventually I get the standard "The page cannot be displayed" error messages on IE and something like "incorrect URL" and "the operation has timed out" on Firefox - even if I am only trying to access the google homepage. Then after a few refreshes my internet seems to cut off and my computer freezes and I have to turn it off.

When pages aren't loading on IE often the address at the bottom of the screen reads: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

I have run Norton's Anti Virus, Spybot but they don't seem to have turned up anything and adaware found WindUpdates which it removed but my Internet didn't run any better. I can't show my Hijack This log at the moment because the computer I am working on to post this won't recognise the file but I can sort it out and post if necessary.

I would appreciate any assistance, Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Before posting a Hijack This log, please read and follow ALL instructions at this link :

Read Before Posting a Hijack This Log

Since you've reinstalled Win XP, have you gotten all the critical updates re-installed. You might also download and run Micro$oft's Antimalware Utility.

Read this for your own learning experience :

Treating Infected Systems

Download Micro$oft's AntiSpyware (Beta) here :

AntiSpyWare (Beta)

or here:

Micro$oft Windows AntiSpyware

Please post log in correct forum.

Ron