Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remote Printing with Windows 98 SE

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

I currently have Windows 98 SE installed on my computer, and have two other computers( a desktop and a laptop computer) downstairs in my office with Windows XP SP2 on them. I was wondering if the computer in my room(the one with Windows 98 SE) could remotely print off my desktop computer in my office( My laptop already does) But I was not sure if this was possible since of OS diffrences. Can you tell me if this is possible or not, and if it is, how to set it up??

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi ddiddy40
Yes it is possible.
1st thing I need to know is are the computers networked.
Are the running via a wireless network or via a cable network.
If they are not networked can you run a cable between the computers.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 06 November 2006 - 05:35 PM.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
All my computers(of course,except the one with the cable modem to the router) connect to the internet via the wireless network. There are no cables between any two computers, and becuase of distance, I couldn't connect them with cables.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Cables will go 100 meters anyway
1)does your 98 machine already talk to the xp machine.
2) what make and model of printer are we going to connect.
3)do you have a cd drive on the 98 machine
Cheers
Peterm

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
1.) Well I don't really think I could run a cable from one end of my house to the other(because my mom and dad wouldn't go for it)

2.) I'm not sure about the talking to XP thing, but it does connect to the xp machine for
wireless internet.

3.) I'm trying to get the Win98 to connect to a HP 1315 ALL-IN-ON printer

4.) Yes do have a cd-rom on the Win98 machine.

Edited by ddiddy40, 07 November 2006 - 08:42 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Sorry I did not mean we had to run a cable.
If you want to be safe make a system restore point before you begin
Click Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore - follow the on screen prompt.

2.) I'm not sure about the talking to XP thing, but it does connect to the xp machine for
wireless internet.

Can you see the xp machine or any folders on the xp from the 98 machine?
Do you know if the xp network wizard was setup on the 98 when the network was created?
On the Xp Machine Go to Start>printers and faxes Click once on the printer icon to highlight it

Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Sharing.
The options you see on the Sharing tab differ depending on whether sharing is enabled on your computer. For instructions on what to do next, click the option that describes what you see on the Sharing tab.
I see text stating that printer sharing must be turned on

You need to enable printer sharing by running the Network Setup Wizard. Start it by clicking the link on the Sharing tab, and then follow the instructions. Once sharing is enabled, begin this procedure again.
I see options for sharing or not sharing the printer

On the Sharing tab, click Share this printer, and then, in the Share name box, type a name for the shared printer.
If you share the printer with users on different hardware or different operating systems, click Additional Drivers. Click the environment and operating system for the other computers, and then click OK to install the additional drivers.
Drivers for users running other versions of Windows (Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0) are located on the Support CD. Printer drivers for Windows NT 3.1 and Windows NT 3.5 are not included.

Click OK, or, if you have installed additional drivers, click Close.

On the 98 Machine go to the printersfolder and run the add a new printer. This should find the shared printer

If you have followed the steps listed above and still cannot share this printer, open Windows Firewall. (To open Windows Firewall, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Windows Firewall.) Then, on the Exceptions tab, select the File and Printer Sharing check box.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Ok thanks, that got it(with a little difficulty) But now I'm up and printing!

Thanks!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
What was the difficult part - so I can try a smooth it out for others

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
O no, your instructions were solid. It just took me a while to get it configured and running.