Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BO:Stack detection - :S help please

• Please log in to reply

Shred

Shred

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

No idea how I got it in the first place, but I turned on my pc today and found that I couldnt open Internet Explorer, and when I try to open it McAfee VSE detects a virus:

Virus Type: BO:Stack - Buffer Overflow

This also happens with Windows Media Player, but with location as C:\\...\wmp(or whatever its called).exe::LoadLibraryA

I unistalled IE and a warning/message (in a formal-looking grey box) said Remote Procedure Call windows is shutting down in (time). I turned it back on but all I could get was my desktop (no icons, no taskbar, just the desktop colour). I ctrlaltdel'd it and noticed on shutdown it said shutdown and install updates, weird but I did it. It installed 3 updates, I turned the pc back on, the same thing happened and this time it had just 1 update.
I turned the pc back on again, this time everything loaded ok. I ran avg, adaware and spyware doctor, which removed quite a lot of stuff, 4 of which were some kind of trojan (which stupidly I didnt note down). However I noticed IE was still installed, clicked to open it, and the same virus popup came up. It might be worth noting that I also tried Firefox, which worked the first time but on the second attempt clicking on the icon appeared to do absolutly nothing... Opera worked fine every time though.

So, not knowing what to do, I tried a system restore. The first half worked but after the reboot the desktop wasn't opening again, like before but this time there wasn't any "shutdown and intall updates" option. Right now its still like that and it hasn't loaded for about 3 hours, so Im guessing its not just being slow...

And now here I am, begging for help. Had I of had a straight head at the time I could actually load windows, I would have installed and run hijackthis, but I didnt. I havn't tried running in safe mode.

Thanks for reading, I hope someone can help me...

Shred.

Advertisements