Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

coop23

coop23

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
have a compaq presario computer that think the motherboard is gone on it..How common is it for the motherboard to fail? was working fine one day and system froze shut it done and now does nothing but running fans..

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Motherboards do fail, it isn't too uncommon. How old is the computer?

Let's rule out all the other possibilities first though.

When you turn it on, I'm assuming you hear no beeps?

Are the motherboard settings default (have you been trying to overclock or anything)? Are you sure it isn't a faulty power supply?

Try taking out the RAM or video card. Boot up, and if it causes a self test failure beeping than you can be somewhat confident that your motherboard is good. If after doing this there is still no beeps then try taking out the CPU. If you boot up and get an error the CPU is probably bad. If STILL no beeps then most likely it is the motherboard.

- Matt

coop23

coop23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
computer is about 4 years old...when i turn it on you hear the fans it runs for a few seconds then 1 long beep for a few seconds then stops and repeats itself...monitor doesn't power up..its black..i removed the ram and powered it up and same thing happend

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Repeats itself once? Multiple times? The number of beeps is very important as this is the bios's way of diagnosing problems. Check here for BIOS beep codes:

http://www.amptron.c....beepcodes.html

coop23

coop23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
it repeats it self...just fans running then 1 long beep for a few secs stops fans running then 1 long beep again..keeps doing that and is as far as the computer gets

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
sounds like you could have a corrupted memory module. That link for beep codes is vry helpful, i don't think you have a motherboard problem