Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP trouble finding new hardware

• Please log in to reply

madxkilla

madxkilla

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just recently reformatted my computer but everything is messed up! Windows can't find devices like my sound card or usb...what is going on?

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Did you reinstall/update the drivers for those devices after the reformat? If not, then you need to.

madxkilla

madxkilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't update because the computer can't find the drives

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Have you downloaded all Windows updates? Is it telling you that it cannot locate the driver or does it not detect the device at all? If it doesn't detect the device at all, then you might want to completely unistall and then reinstall. If it can't locate the driver, then you can use the windows catalogue to find the driver. Here is a link with instructions: http://www.microsoft...inddrivers.mspx

If not, then try going to the manufacturers website to locate the driver.

Sorry if this doesn't help, but it's the best I can come up with.

Good luck.