Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

The Soup

The Soup

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently built my own PC, and I can't get it to boot. I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for what to try. Here are the relevant system specs:

Motherboard - Gigabyte 8VM800M775 Socket 775
CPU - Intel Celeron 351 3.20GHz 533FSB Socket 775
Memory - Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
Hard Drive - Seagate 250GB EIDE HD

I have another PC that I built a few years ago. I tried swapping the hard drives, cables, memory, power supplies, and monitors on both of them. All of those components from the new one worked on my old one, so I know that they're not at fault.
All of the components are getting power, but nothing seems to be going on with the data. All of the lights and fans turn on and the hard drive spins, but the hard drive doesn't beep and the monitor just stays blank. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the motherboard or CPU. I would really appreciate it if someone could offer some insight.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
How many risers are you using between the motherboard and the case?

Everything else looks compatible. Have you confirmed that the motherboard works in another machine? Unless you're grounding it out on the case or something caught underneath it, it might just be a bad board.

The Soup

The Soup

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Unfortunately my other computer is an AMD, so I can't try swapping the CPUs or motherboards.
I tried removing the board, setting it on its anti-static bag, and running the computer with the motherboard setting next to it. It still didn't work. It's looking like it might just be a bad motherboard.

Edited by The Soup, 05 November 2006 - 01:15 PM.