Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Booting XP Setup from Secondary Partition - HELP Please!

• Please log in to reply

rus0

rus0

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, I have a current dilemma, and I was really hoping someone with the proper experience and/or expertise could help me out. Here is the situation---

My girlfriend has an HP laptop that is out of warrant by 4 months. A good friend of hers stepped on the CDROM drive's tray and broke the CDROM. I contacted HP to order a new one to replace it, but after finding out that it will cost around $400 for a new CDROM, I scratched that idea. (I have an external I am going to give her to use, she does not take it out much).

The dilemma I am in, is that her computer is in such bad shape, it desperately needs to be reformatted. I've run spyware/adware/malware/antivirus, registry cleaners, defraggers, removed junk software.. etc. but to no avail, it runs terribly slow (it's a Pentium M @ 2.0GHZ, 512MB RAM), and according to her, it runs nothing like it did when she bought it.

I have a copy of WinXP Pro I wanted to install, but the CDROM is broken. So I attempted to use the external CDROM, but the BIOS does not support booting from any USB device (including flash drives).

To bypass this, I used Partition Magic 8 to create a 2GB partition I labeled as drive "M:", and formatted it in FAT32, ripped the WinXP Pro CD to my computer, copied all the files to my flash drive and then copied them to the M: drive on her laptop.

My problem is, now I am stuck. I cannot figure out how to get the XP setup on M: to boot first, so it will run like the installation from the CDROM would. I believe there HAS to be SOME way to do this, and it's really my only option.

Stuck! Can anyone help me out? It would go MUCH appreciated! Thanks.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I'm -pretty- sure that it's not possible, due to the way certain things in there are hard coded to look at the cd-rom device itself. As far as possible solutions for salvage...open 'er up and plug a cd-rom drive directly into the ide controller on the motherboard, remove when finished?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
onother option is to get hijackthis...the instructions are at the link...along with the download...run hijacktis and post the log in the security/post hijackthis logs here...after they get you cleaned up post back here and we can help get the speed back...

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if this is an HP computer you should be able to press shift f10 (might be ctrl) during boot up to get to the recovery routine...you should be able to do a "factory reset" or destructive recovery to get the system back to the way it was out of the box