Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Randomly Restarts Itself

• Please log in to reply

SickEd

SickEd

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to whats up with my comp....

it randomly restarts itself without any warning...
i had a look in the Event Viewer....in System....it has an error at the time it last restarted...it says...

Source: Service Control Manager any ideas?

Event ID: 7026

Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: ASPI32

Any ideas?

Im running windows 2000

Cheers , Mike | Sick Ed

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Read the information at the following link and see if that helps answer your question :

Error on Startup

Ron

SickEd

SickEd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
that doesnt help me :tazz: it still restarts....

anyone? please..

Mike

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Lets try again.

This issue could be caused by any of the below possibilities.

1. Software issue or error : Errors generated by software programs can cause a computer to reboot unexpectedly or without warning. If the computer is not rebooting in safe mode, it is likely you have software related issue.
2. Hardware issue or error : Any failing hardware component in your computer could cause your computer to unexpectedly generate an error and/or reboot without warning. If you have recently attempted to add a new hardware device, remove that device to make sure it is not causing your issues. New drivers can also cause this issue, if you have recently performed any hardware driver updates try an earlier version of the drivers.
3. Heat related issue : Many computer today are designed to turn off or automatically reboot if the computer, processor, or other device in your computer gets to hot. If you feel safe about opening your pc, you should ensure your fans run properly when pc is on.
4. Issue with operating system : If after following each of the above, your computer still continues to reboot, you may be experiencing a Microsoft Windows operating system related issue that cannot be explained. Try these steps -

1. Reboot the computer and enter CMOS setup as the computer is booting.
2. After you have loaded the computer in CMOS setup let the computer sit.

If the computer does not reboot while letting the computer sit in CMOS it is likely that you are in fact experiencing an issue with Microsoft Windows. Might try reinstalling your OS
5. Computer virus : Last thing I can think of right now is this. Check this first and follow instructions - Read This Before Posting a Hijack This Log. Please post log in proper forum if you have malware problems.

Remain patient as someone may come along that has better ideas.

Ron

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Remain patient as someone may come along that has better ideas.

Nope no better ideas, that is one of the best explanations for random reboots and should be expaned upon and pinned in hardware.

Ron if its ok can I quote this but of course credit will go to you?

As for this post after following step 1 if the computer still reboots try(I quote Ron but add A)

Step 1A. "Reboot the computer and enter CMOS setup as the computer is booting".
Step 2A." After you have loaded the computer in CMOS setup let the computer sit".

To expand on this a bit from Ron's recomendation, report your temps and voltages while in bios.

If after step 1, 1A and 2A the computer reboots I think its save to say its hardware so post back your results and we can move on from there.

Rick

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

To expand on this a bit from Ron's recomendation, report your temps and voltages while in bios.

Rick

View Post

That's even better. I keep forgetting that some BIOS' can do this. I have an old PC which allows only limited info and control in the BIOS. :tazz: One of these days I'll upgrade.

Thanks for additional info, Rick.

Ron

crrj

crrj

Chat Staff

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 4 posts
It may also help to turn on BSODs in your computer properties. That way you can have some idea as to what's causing Windows to die, if it isn't a hardware issue.

This can be donw by right clicking "my computer"->properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings
Uncheck the "Automatically restart checkbox.

If you get the BSOD, post the error and DLL that is causing it.

Eclypse

Eclypse

• Pip
  • 9 posts
What could it mean if your comp just turns off then back on rebootin itself and it does it at any point in time....even before win2000 has installed? Ive tried replacing the PSU, that wasnt it....so im kinda at a loss now. Could I have a short somewhere or perhaps a problem with the BIOS and the boot process? Thanks for any help!
E.

crrj

crrj

Chat Staff

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 4 posts
That could very easily mean a problem with the PSU or other component.

Go into BIOS and watch the voltages, on one machine I had where the PSU died you could see voltage go from 12v to 0 and back repeatedly.

Eclypse

Eclypse

• Pip
  • 9 posts

That could very easily mean a problem with the PSU or other component.

Go into BIOS and watch the voltages, on one machine I had where the PSU died you could see voltage go from 12v to 0 and back repeatedly.

View Post

THats the thing...I tried replacing the PSU already and still the same issues...thats why im unsure. thanks though!

SickEd

SickEd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok... its started getting a blue screen....this comes up....

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***Address BFE66F59 Base at BFE35000, Date stamp 3B28910a - ALCXWDM.SYS
***Address BFE66F59 Base at BFE35000, Date stamp 3B28910a - ALCXWDM.SYS

Begining dump of physical memory..

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mike | SickEd

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
SickEd,

That error has to do with your sound card or onboard sound drivers try reinstalling them.

Some report that after a certain windows update windows will install its version of the driver needed for the sound card and cause problems like this so you could also try removing the drivers and reinstalling the original ones. I don't know if windows 2000 has this but try to roll back your driver to a previous one in device manager.

Rick