Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

56K Modem installation problems

• Please log in to reply

DarbyC

DarbyC

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

I am trying to install a 56K modem in an older computer that has Windows 98 for an OS. The computer is an ULTRA. The part nbr on the modem is 6000758 which apparently is a Gateway nbr. On Gateway's website I found this modem (along with a picture and it does look like my modem) 'U.S. Robotics, ISA 56K Voice WinModem (Fargo).'

It seemed to install okay. I downloaded a driver from DriverGuide and used it. When I go into the device manager it says that this device is working properly.

When I try to connect to the internet I don't hear a dial tone and I get the message 'Error 630 The computer is not receiving a response from the modem.'

The phone line is okay, I'm replacing a modem that is able to connect. I'm using the jack that is labeled 'TELCO.'

I was given this modem and I don't know if it good or not, I think it came from a computer that was working, the computer just got replaced because it was old and a friend of mine is parting it out.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

DarbyC

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Which version of Windows 98 is it?

Right-click on My Computer -> Properties to find out.

If its Windows 98 First Edition (identified by the code 4.10.1998), there are probably no drivers for it and you would need to source an older modem.

If its Windows 98 Second Edition (identified by the code 4.10.2222A), then you've most likely downloaded the wrong driver. Grab the one from Gateway's website.

DarbyC

DarbyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks Neil,

I looked and I have Windows 98 First Edition. What do you mean by 'you would need to source an older modem'?

Thank you.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Basically, most hardware manufactured after about late 2001 no longer supports the original Windows 98, because when Windows 98SE came out, one of its major changes was to change the way that drivers work with Windows. This made life a lot easier for hardware manufacturers as it meant one driver would talk to a range of different hardware (within reason). This was not possible prior to Win98 SE, as each device had to have its own unique driver.

Therefore you would need to find an older modem that Windows 98 First Edition can talk to. The only place I know of for these would be somewhere like eBay, and even then you may not be able to get a 56k modem.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Did you uninstall the old modem in device manager first?

If not...and I've seen this...all the pc sees is the old driver. I once had to format a pc over this issue.