Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Boot Loader

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
hello. I recently installed Windows Vista Beta as a second OS to back up my default Windows XP Media Center. I wasn't a huge fan of Vista so I decided to delete and wipe the partition that Vista was installed on. However, after i deleted it I nocticed that when I boot my computer I still receive the Windows Boot Loader that lets me choose which OS to run. Vista is still in that list even though I deleted it. How do I disable this Loader that that my XP Media can load normally withought this menue.

Advertisements

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I, too, would like to see an answer to this.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
http://www.pro-netwo...pic.php?t=74987

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When Vista installs, it replaces the XP boot.ini file with it's own bootloader...the bootloader must be replaced with a new boot.ini file to work properly.

Boot using the XP cd and enter Recovery Console. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and press "Enter". Full instructions HERE.

wannabe1

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
If I had a nickle for each time I did the bootcfg /rebuild, anywho I think all you'll need to do is type fixboot, fixmbr and reboot. Should be good to go. I was doing the bootcfg /rebuild for a long time and all it was doing was adding another OS title to the boot.ini, so when it did boot back into windows it had two or three Windoes XP listed.