Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with hard drive installs and problems

• Please log in to reply

rhett7660

rhett7660

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello All..

Windows does not see drives

I installed a sata drive and put my os on the sata drive. I then have a ata 133 card that has two ide drives on it that were used as storage. There is information on them. When I loaded everthing up, windows does not see my two drives (except when I go to device manager etc) I installed the maxtor maxblast and the only way I can get windows to see the drive is to reformat them and lose all of my data!!! How can I get the hard drives back into windows so I can get my data back!!?? I looked at the scsi controller and it is showing the following: winxp promise ultra 133 tx2.

Thanks
R~

Advertisements

rhett7660

rhett7660

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Also.. the bios does see both drives..... Windows does not see them unless I go under device manager.... I have been searching for ways to get around this but so far no luck. All the sites I am coming across want to help you reover lost data... I know the data isn't lost, I just need to be able to see it without having to reformat my hard drive in the process..

Anybody have any solutions that might help me with this..

R~

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Are the jumpers set right in all the drives? Configured correctly in the bios?

What filesystems are the storage drives using? If it's not NTFS or Fat32, Windows won't see it.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Boot from a linux live CD, which should be able to see any data that exists on the drives. Use that to copy from those drives to your windows hard drive, which it will see as well.

rhett7660

rhett7660

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello..

I have drive one set as the master and drive two set as the slave... (with these drives the slave has no jumper).

File system for both are NTFS..

Kurenai

Could you elaborate more on where I could get a LINUX LIVE CD or better yet make one?

Thanks for the responses..

R~

rhett7660

rhett7660

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok.. I did a search for Linux Live CD and a ton of links came up.. how do I know which one to use???

R~

rhett7660

rhett7660

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello.. the disk size is 120gig.... Right now under disk management this is what it is showing:

Disk 2
Basic
114.48GB

Local Disk
114.48GB NTFS
Healthy (Active)

R~

rhett7660

rhett7660

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ended up purchasing R-Studio NTFS recover software.. Worked like a charm.. I am currently moving all of my saved info to a new hard drive and then I will refomat the old one.....

Thanks again for trying to help! Mucho appreciated..

R~

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Sorry about that, went to bed, but glad to hear it worked out for you.

rhett7660

rhett7660

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No worries.. I was able to get all the information off of both the drives.... Happy camper..

R~