Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows after desktop blank

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is using the neighbours PC difficult to arrange?

Advertisements

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I doubt I could do that. Can the files be transferred to my other computer now that the repair process has already started? That's what I will probably do if possible, either that or a fresh install of windows xp. I would have to take the computer to a repairman though as I have no idea how to do that or the equipment to do so.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The only difference between a repair install and a fresh install is the options you choose as the XP CD loads

What would be a good move here is to format the drive with boot and nuke, we can get the instructions for that later

The important thing is to check you do not have any data on the drive you cannot replace, once that is done the rest is straightforward

You could install your drive in to the other PC and then transfer the data that way

This involves opening them up and it depends on how you feel about doing that

http://www.dvworksho...hard_drive.html

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
"You could install your drive in to the other PC and then transfer the data that way"- I really have to get a professional to do that, as I said, I don't have the equipment/experience to do it anyways and it was done on my previous computer before.
If I have that done how would I do a fresh install of windows with it already setup for a repair install, is that what formatting the drive is for? Also, is the product key required for a fresh install?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Formatting would clear the drive, so it would see an XP CD as a fresh install

You will need the product key from the PC tower

How much of a rush are you in?

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I'm not in a rush at all. The pc isn't being used right not and isn't needed as I have the second computer. It's just an extra computer I would like fixed so I can use it again, especially if something happened to the other computer and I needed it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The person I would like to ask about this is away at the moment, he may know a way of booting it to check, though I expect it will involve using a floppy disc at some point

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi. I was talking in a computer help chat room about the product key problem and I found out what the problem was. The cd is Windows XP Home Edition SERVICE PACK 1 [so the KEY was for SP1] but the pc had initially [and it's key] NO service pack installed on it so that's why it didn't work. I either have to phone Microsoft again or buy a new windows cd. Will try to talk to microsoft for help, hopefully it will work.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok, I was told that you have to call Microsoft and get them to activate the product key. Do you know if that would work?[get the product key to work with the cd] I don't see how that works.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They would only need to give you a product key for the version of disc you have

Advertisements

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
But how would I get a product key for the disc when it was already used say I don't have it?
Wouldn't they just say the product key is on the pc's sticker?

Edited by ctdgcrsntf, 11 November 2006 - 10:44 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Say you have mislaid the disc for the PC, they have already said the key you have is genuine. They could make a charge for the replacement disc, if so, check it is a lot less than buying one locally

If they ask, say you have a number of PC's with XP on and just got the discs mixed up, and the one for this PC has gone missing

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok, hope it works this time. Last time they just wanted me to go to the manufacturer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will depend on the mood of the prson you ask, unfortunately

I snapped an Office 2000 CD while cleaning it during a download of an update, told them, they sent me Office XP Pro for 30 USD inc post

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yes, I guess so. The cd for the old emachine pc from them before was given free. I just don't get why compaq doesn't send xp cds with its computers. Both compaq computers I have now only came with recovery discs that have no repair option at all.