Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Screen

• Please log in to reply

h-delic

h-delic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there, if anyone can help me I'd be most appreciative.

When I connect a new PC to my monitor and start up the computer all I get is a blank screen. The monitor is fine, it works with another PC and the PC sounds as though it's working fine. Normally the yellowy-green light on the front of the monitor is on when in use but with the new PC it flashes. The menu button doesn't bring up any options (normally it would bring up brightness control etc.). I have 4 identical computers to set up and have tried one other which has the same problem.

The PC is a HP Compaq DX2200 running XP Pro and the monitor is a Compaq V710. The computers are brand new, delivered yesterday.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. My first thought was the graphics card came loose in shipment. HOWEVER, I did a search on HP Compaq DX2200 and found it has integrated graphics, so my first thought does not apply. In this case, since the computer is new the best course of action would be to contact the vendor where you purchased it, or contact HP directly. They should be able to give you some direct assistance to get it going for you.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. My first thought was the graphics card came loose in shipment. HOWEVER, I did a search on HP Compaq DX2200 and found it has integrated graphics, so my first thought does not apply. In this case, since the computer is new the best course of action would be to contact the vendor where you purchased it, or contact HP directly. They should be able to give you some direct assistance to get it going for you.

if that doesnt work try a different stick of ram, since you wont have any video output if the ram is defective

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
True, there would be no video output if the ram wasn't working, but there'd be no startup noises either, and it sounds like everything is starting fine (Windows boot sounds), just no video.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

True, there would be no video output if the ram wasn't working, but there'd be no startup noises either, and it sounds like everything is starting fine (Windows boot sounds), just no video.

i got a compaq board that beeps even if there is no ram

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I wasn't talking about beeping, I was talking about the Windows boot sounds. You should get quite a few beeps, or a set code, if you try and boot any machine with no RAM.

h-delic

h-delic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the replies.

I'm embarassed by this but I'm going to say how I got the problem fixed anyway, in case someone else finds this thread through a search.

I went through the setup manual and as far as I could figure everything was okay. I tried the other computers and they all had the same problem. I tried another monitor and it gave the same problem too. I went online and chatted with HP support who went through everything and advised me to take the PCs back to the supplier.

That was when I noticed the computer came with some sort of adapter. On close inspection one end fitted into an unusual port on the computer, converting it into (what I consider) a standard monitor port. The monitor works when plugged in this way but not through the normal monitor port. Would have saved me alot of time if this had been mentioned in the setup guide or by support but there you go, problem solved. :whistling: :blink:

Judypolarbear

Judypolarbear

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just want to thank you for having the problem as I have already sent one machineback but now I have it working - Thank you Geeks to go you are life savers

Judy

h-delic

h-delic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I just want to thank you for having the problem as I have already sent one machineback but now I have it working - Thank you Geeks to go you are life savers

Judy

:blink: Confirmation that it's not just me, thanks. :whistling: