Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a Dual-boot on my friend's laptop

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok, so here's the situation. My brother's girlfriend had problems with her computer, and for various reasons she asked me to reinstall her windows. She lives in dorm at the university and I'm told she's required to have XP home installed on the computer to access the internet (yeah, shouldnt change anything, but I'm setting up the dual boot with XP pro and home as she requests anyway)

My problem is that acronis OS selector, which I installed on the XP home partition, is [bleep]ed over. It wont boot the computer properly, and I'm forced to press F6 to bypass the menu alltogether, or nothing boots. Tried uninstalling the selector, and the boot is still stuck at the now non-existent menu files.

I need help to restore the MBR record to its original (I've never had to do that before) and install a bootloader that'll switch between the two windows correctly.

XP pro is on partition 1 of disk 0, while xp home is on disk 0 partition 2

Both NTFS, both primary.

Thanks

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ah never mind, I used BootMagic on it... And found that fixboot and fixmbr commands. all is well.