Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop freezing

• Please log in to reply

rivley

rivley

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My pc keeps locking up, windows loads fine but about 10 seconds after the windows welcome screen it just freezes. There are no warning - nothing. I havnt got a clue.

I thought it was my crappy cheap virus software that was causing the problem but i deleted it and installed bitdeffender 10.

I've run out of ideas and need help.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently?

rivley

rivley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
about 2 weeks or so. Cant think of anything that ive done, i'm not one for playing about, if it works then im happy.

The only thing that i can think of other than my standard daily check emails is download the new windows media player and change my virus software,but both of these were after the problem started.

I can get the pc to run about 1 time in every 30 attempts and when i get it working i just leave it on as long as possible.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
What are your system specs such as RAM and such? If you're not sure, let me know and we'll try to confirm this.

rivley

rivley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Intel celron 2.66ghz, 760ram windows xp sp2

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Wow, there's really no reason that this should happen then... Can you get in using Safe Mode, or does it freeze there as well? If you don't know how to enter Safe Mode, let us know. Also, one you get it to finally boot properly, let's see if we can find malware...

Please go to the malware forum by clicking HERE and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Edited by Stormknight6, 06 November 2006 - 02:54 PM.

rivley

rivley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Cheers, i'll get on it and get back to you with the results.

rivley

rivley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just finished, nothing really intresting just a couple of dodgy cookies. the first one is gone but the second one that panda found isnt covered in there free trial for removal.

So where do you reccomend going from here? i was thinking of giving it a couple of days and see if that has done the trick.

ps what can i do about this cookie that panda found?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Does Panda allow you to remove it once it finds anything suspicious? Also, let me research this problem a bit and see what we can do.

rivley

rivley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
panda will remove it if i pay for there full version but the free virsion ony removes viruses, trojans etc not spyware like what they classed this as.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, well someone from the Malware forum should have given you instructions on how to remove them with HijackThis, right? If not, ask for them.