Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

file sharing doesn't work after upgrade from 2K to XP

• Please log in to reply

tgegare

tgegare

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Before the upgrade from 2K Pro to XP Pro one computer functioned as a workstation sharing Sage Timberline Accounting System software and data through t: drive and s: drive. when I tried to reinstate the network map drive, a message popped up saying it remembered the previous mapped drive and I clicked yes to reinstate. I received an error message that my user did not have permission to access that drive. Only these two computers are networked together and function as peer to peer sharing. Anyone have any ideas how to share the files?

Thank you!!

Edited by dsenette, 07 November 2006 - 08:23 AM.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
It probably dropped it's network info when you switched...are these computers cabled directly together, or is there another device that they both plug in to, and if so, what is it?

tgegare

tgegare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
they both plug into the wall, I do not see a specific hub for these two computers. we have a router out back where the internet enters the building but I don't see anything different back there for these two computers than the other computers in the building. We only have four computers total. This is a very low tech office.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Hmm...try this, then. On the computer that has the drives shared, go to Start -> Run and type CMD, then hit enter. At the command prompt, type ipconfig, and note the IP address on the computer.
One the computer with the new XP install, do the same thing. From the command line of each computer, try and ping the other one with the command ping <ip address of other computer>
Let us know if you get replies, or if it says "Request timed out"

tgegare

tgegare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for sticking with me on this! On both computers it said packets sent = 4; received =4.
Both computers received the XP upgrade. I upgraded the one with the drive shares first (computer 1). Then the other one (computer 2).
I just tried again to map the network drive on computer 2 and this is the error message:
S:\\"computer name"\SHARE is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

Thank you!

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Yeah, network path not found means that either 1. The source computer changed names (unlikely) or that there's something odd happening with netbios name resolution (more likely). Try this. On the computer that needs to map drives, go to My Computer, Tools menu, map network drive, in the Folder area type \\<ip address of source computer instead of network name>\SHARE

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
uh...i'm gonna assume that this network is set up as a workgroup style network not a domain right? did you run the network setup wizard again after upgrading to XP? upgrading (even with the upgrade disk) will.. I THINK completely remove any previous networking steps (i.e. joining a workgroup)

tgegare

tgegare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I received the error message:

Network drive could not be created. Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passowrds not allowed, logon hour restrictions or policy restriction has been enforced.

Yes, this was set up as a workgroup. No I did not run network setup wizard after the upgrade.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you'll need to run the network setup wizard to join the workgroup...which is why (i think) you're getting the logon failures

tgegare

tgegare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay. I'll try running the network setup wizard. Thank you!

tgegare

tgegare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I ran the network setup wizard. I can see both computers in the workgroup in my network places. I still get the same error message when I try to map the network drive.