Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting 2 pc's together

• Please log in to reply

pamera

pamera

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm cleaning closets out. Have 5 computers and some with info on them, wanted to know if you could hook them one at a time to my present pc and just switch info.??? 2 have no floopy disk that work..... dont know if printer could hook up.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
A lot depends on what os they are running for example XP and both computers having eithernet ports means that one can just use a crossover cable, run connection wizard on both and the allow file sharing should do the trick. Ah, I am not sure about windows 98se os.

also if the data is not too much, then using a USB key is simple, but you will need to download the driver for it on windows 98se whereas USB does work with windows 98 first edition

pamera

pamera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
one is older pc my daughters and has windows 95...... thanks for reply, just didnt want to hook 2 together without asking someone

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry, I will pass because I don't know about windows 95, but another idea would be just to take out the harddrive and either slave it in your new computer or borrow a external harddrive caddie from a friend(well they are very usefull and don't cost much) and then you can use the old harddrives and storage, I don't know how many harddrive I have but being live unlike a cd or DVD I can keep lots of old programs or music or films on them being very reusable: however, one cannot trust old harddrives so if you ever use them for backups then it is safer to either not use them for important stuff or copy the same stuff to two harddrive in case one dies on you.