Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair installation of OEM XP and new MOBO

• Please log in to reply

ozob

ozob

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Greetings. I'm presently using a valid licensed OEM XP SP2 on a machine I built. I am planning to upgrade the MOBO. Because of the amount of application software installed, I would like to avoid re-installing it all if possible (who wouldn't). I'm hoping to be able to install the mobo and then do a repair installation to get going again. I will be backing up everything in case this plan fails, and will be prepared to do a clean install if required.

Now, my real question here is this: I understand microsoft says the OEM OS is tied to the MOBO, and that a new license may be required. I'm okay with spending the money, if needed, but I would like this transition to be as painless as I can make it.

ASSUMING that a repair installation is successful (which might be expecting alot), and assuming that re-activation will be required, and assuming that microsoft will require a new license, is it possible to simply purchase the new license and enter the new key when/if activation is denied? Anyone know how this works? If the new license also requires a clean install, well, I will plan accordingly and not even bother trying the repair.

Thoughts? If this topic has been previously addressed, and I missed it, please point me to it.

Thanks, and best regards.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just repair it. A handful of programs don't like it when you do this but these are the exception rather than the rule.

When it wants activation again, just phone them up. If they ask why, just say you've changed the main board and you'll get an activation code. And that's all there is to it.

ozob

ozob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm just trying to anticipate a EULA hassle. Are you saying that is unlikely? thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There isn't one. You don't need a new licence, use the one on the side of the case. That is your licence. Phone Microsoft up for activation purposes if it won't or can't activate online. Just say you changed the main board, that's all they need to know.

ozob

ozob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Neil. That is encouraging.