Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Did I post in the wrong forum, er sumpthin'?

• Please log in to reply

lene

lene

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all. Thanks for any help you can offer. I obviously put myself in a bind here.
My C:/ drive is completely full!
I have moved every file I can possibly, safely move and have, along the way, redirected installs to my other drives. Yet, many files have insisted to install to my C:/ drive anyway.Now I have only 250mb space on C:/ !
I have a demo version of NERO 7 with a backup utility , also DVD Shrink. Can I utilize these somehow to correct the problem? If not, what would you suggest? Unfortunately, I have a tender pocketbook ...
Here is my system info... THANK YOU!!!

Sony Vaio rs 520 P3 2992 Mhz
Windows XP SP2
(C:/ and D:/ share A 160 GB physical Drive)....
C:/= 13.9 G only 254 MB free!!!
D:/= 129 G 82.2G free
(G:/ thru J:/ share A 400GB physical drive)....
G:/= 14.9G 14.5G free
H:/= 99.9G 82.3G free
I:/= 99.9G 95.2G free
J:/= 159G 91.3G free

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
C: partition was too small to start with, esp for Windows XP. Even if you install programs to one of the other partitions, C: is still required for some of the files to integrate with Windows -- so they have to go into the C:\Windows folder.

You have two options as I see it.

1. Buy a copy of 'Partition Magic' which allows you to 'merge' the C & D partitions so that C: then utilizes all the available space on that physical drive. No need to re-install Windows if all goes to plan (and it usually does with PM cos I've used it myself.

2. If you don't want to spend any money and you are prepared to re-install Windows, you can boot from the XP CD, delete both C and D partitions, then create a new, bigger single partition on that physical drive. Re-install Windows on that new partition.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
With PQ magic you can shrink the D partition and add the free space to C

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If your "My Docs" folder is still on C you can move the whole thing safely to another partition. That might free up some space. Pip, I think 15 G is about right for Windows XP and assorted program files. XP only needs about 4 or 5 G, and that includes the paging file. Hmmm...you can safely move the pagefile, too, if you want to, but some people believe it slows things down. I've never compared it "scientifically", but maybe someone else can contribute their experience. In my case, that would free up a gig and a half.
Johanna

lene

lene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your replies. I agree with the both of you in regards to the size of C:/ drive. If Windows and bundled programs were all that were on C:/ drive, 14 gigs is plenty. However, I have always wondered why software developers do not pay more attention to the functionality of a program when installed to other than "C". Also, many persons purchasing their first computer would not anticipate the need nor, have the confidence to redirect files.Although, My Mother and Aunts want to learn computers, but they nearly have anxiety attacks as they move their hands toward the keyboard!LOL!
I think that using partition Magic or something along that line, is more of a solution for me than reinstalling windows . Q:- What about a "backup program"? Any suggestions there? I should definitely learn to do that ANYWAY.
Q:-[/b] I thought I had moved all I can but, about moving "My Documents"... can I just drag and drop that over? Q:-[b] And [b]how does one safely move the paging file?[font=Arial Black][b]
Thanks folks, very much!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I moved My Docs by right clicking and selecting "move to folder" and plopping it on another partition. It worked fine for me. Some software (like the bloat that came with my HP printer) looks for "My Docs" on C and recreates it, so don't be alarmed if a new "My Docs" appears on C later. My issue wasn't about reclaiming space, it's so that if I trash XP I don't lose my stuff. Hold off on moving the paging file for now. I've asked some knowlegable folks for their opinions, and I'd rather err on the side of caution concerning the pagefile.

On another board I work on, Christer compiled a guide to moving data off of C. It's detailed and carefully researched. Christer's computer speaks Swedish, so we all went over it with a fine tooth comb before he posted it. Christer is one of the few people I would let monkey with my computer. :whistling:
http://www.windowsbb...ead.php?t=49222
Hope this helps.
Johanna

lene

lene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Johanna, I'll read up on that and see what I can do! Lene'.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You're very welcome. Please post back if you have any questions or concerns.
Johanna

lene

lene

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey. I wanted to come back and thank everyone for their input on my problem and let you know that, I THINK Im good now. I was able to get Partition Magic 8 to resize my partition. And I was finally able to completely defragment the drive.I added about 40 gigs to it so, I should never ever have to worry about it again. I will still install what programs WILL install onto "D:" onto it.
One note, though, after resizing the partition my computer was not able to connect to the internet because the "Win sock" settings were gone and my I.P. address had to be renewed within "CMD"?. My internet provider had to help me with that, having the knowledge of my repartitioning, she new what to do.
I also used a registry cleaner afterwards.
Again, THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

LENE'.