Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about monitor for Vista-Widescreen and HDTV

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am planning on slowly upgrading my computer monitors to widescreen models during the next year, likely 22 inches or so. Samsung makes a 224BW model which is a 22 inch widescreen at a good price. I have heard that Samsung, Dell ,and Viewsonic are the best brands to look at. Any other brands I should look into? What I like about the Samsung is it does have HDCP.
I know technology always changes but I want to do the best I can to buy futureproof technology. I like watching HDTV so want something that could even display HDTV without the computer for example by hooking up a cable or satellite receiver to it. I have heard to look for a monitor that has a HDMI port but I don't see it and I wouldn't want to pay a lot extra for it. I know most have both a DVI port as well as a DVI-D port. Of course the DVI port would be used by the computer but with a switchbox could I hook up a satellite/cable receiver to the DVI port and watch HDTV on it since it has HDCP? As well, do these monitors display 1080p or only 720p and 1080i?

Advertisements