Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for advice regarding setup for Sims 2 games

• Please log in to reply

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi, Keith from the other forum sent me here to see which would be better for me. I've been getting the blue screen of death - but it was only when I accessed a particularly graphic intensive neighborhood of elaborate castles, terrains, and the monster Sims - Robots, Zombies, Vampires, and Aliens. Tonight as an experiment I ran a normal neighborhood of about the same number of sims and houses, and played the game way longer than I usually do - well over 6 hours, with hardly a blink. No blue screen or anything.

So that I can build neighborhoods like the monster one, I need to decide which is the better choice - to upgrade my video card - I am running a AOpen Nvidia Gefore 4 ti 4600 with 128 aboard and I have 2 matched sticks of 512 ram each for memory. I run XP pro for os with sp2 all updated except for the new browser. I have the new Nvidia Driver that came out a couple days ago. My system is Via Technologies Model KT333cf-8235; a k7vta3 mb; Proc - AMD athlon xp 2500+,mmx,3d now Direct x Version 9.0c and my monitor is an Avitron Av-7Tf - OR - as I only have 2 memory slots, upgrade my memory from the 1 gig to two gig? And what about my motherboard with this system, is there a better one that would work and possibly have a third memory slot. I got this system just a little over 2 years ago - but we also got a new house, so I need the cheapest way to go possible. Other than the Sims 2 games, Sim Cities, and every now and then games like Sacred, I just use my computer for research and Writing childrens stories. I also help out other Simmers with playing issues, just not the technical side of things.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi,

What blue screen message were you getting?

In my opinion getting a better graphics card will be more beneficial then upgrading your RAM.

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I posted yesterday under Hardware>Hardware, Components and Peripherals

and it was titled Bluescreen - nv4_disp.dll - error

Several different people made suggestions, and then earlier today I stopped back in and explained what I did and had figured out it was probably a memory problem as with my graphic card I was told I'd do better with more memory. But my husband thinks because of the Sims heavy load on the graphics, and memory, I would be best getting a new - but hopefully affordable graphics card. He seems to think that a better graphics card makes the game less demanding of the memory.

I just need to know which card would be the better choice without needing to put a mortgage on my house to buy it. Right now we are a 1 pay check family with a mortgage to pay, and unfortunately I am stuck with this computer for a while yet, so if I could find an affordable card what would be better than the one I've got that will handle the Sims 2 and all eps. I prefer Nvidia type cards as my son can get them at his cost, if I could only find out which one I need.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
A Geforce 6600 or 6800 would run the game very nicely indeed.

Before changing the card though have you run a memory test? Or uninstalled your graphics card drivers and installed the latest ones?

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I uninstalled the drivers and then installed the one that just came out on the 2nd of this month. No, I didn't do a memory test this go around yet.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Try running Memtest86+

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
So far I haven't had another blue screen occurrence - so I just thought I'd let you know that. Plus I ran the Everest program and did the memory benchmark test. Seems to me the only problem Everest sees in my machine is the fact my current graphic card is only 4 times and my motherboard wants 8 times.

Does that make sense to you? Anyway, my husband has contacted my son about getting me a 6600 or 6800 graphics card like you suggested. And he added that Christmas is coming so perhaps you'll find another gig of memory under the tree. That'd be nice anyway.

Thank you for your help. It's been much appreciated. It's really hard when you only really like one game and when that one game doesn't work right it's rather frustrating, especially when money is an issue to make all things better. At least I'm not moving forward blindly, and have a starting point to make my favorite game enjoyable without needing to mortgage my house. Your generous service to us geekless types is immeasureable and worthy of you all receiving a golden halo. Thanks so much.

Also I love this Everest program. I can see what I'd never see inside of my computer without it.
All my readings came out good and everything appears to be functioning as intended. The memory test basicly tells me the memory is putting out exactly what it supposed to be putting out and is healthy. Which is good as it is just a year old. I got it last Christmas. I only got a reading on two of my 4 fans, and the numbers match what they are supposed to be according to my husband. The other two fans are case coolers, so apparently they don't register with this program.

I think thats all. Thanks again - You folks are the best!

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The Memtest86+ is a memory diagnostic utility, it tests the memory for problems.