Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Build Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
So this is the 2nd pc that ive built. The first one was about 2 years ago with a asus board and i had no problems.

After I got everything together, I tried to power it up, and got nothing. No beeps, no fans turning...nothing. Very dissapointed. I figured it was the power supply. I tested it out on another system that I have, and it worked perfectly. (I'm at work now but i think its a xion 500 watt)

Does that mean it's the motherboard? If it was the processor, ram or any other component, wouldnt I still get some sort of beep or motion in the fans?

So frustrating.....thanks in advance guys.

Okay, so in case it is the motherboard, I've decided to try this one:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128017

I have the Intel E6600 and I don't need an sli or crossfire board, just a PCIe. I don't overclock, so I don't need a board capable of that. Anyone have any experience with this board?

This is my cuurent motherboard:

http://www.microcent...oduct_id=243411

Edited by dospoy, 06 November 2006 - 09:55 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to do is pull the motherboard out of the computer, set it up on a pizza box with everything needed to boot it up, and see if you can get it to work. What you are looking for is that it boots to the bios( try hitting the delete key while firing it up. If fans turn, you get video, and can get to the bios the MB was probably shorted out in the case. All you need hooked up is MB, cpu with fan, 1 stick of memory, HD, video, keyboard, mouse, and a power supply. You can momentarily touch the power on pins on the motherboard with a small screwdriver to start it up( or maybe you can reach the case power switch wires to the MB, and use the switch). If you still get nothing either the MB or the CPU is bad and needs replacing. You might get a local computer shop to test your MB and CPU for almost free. I do this free, at my shop, as it brings many people back to me for parts and service.

I have always liked the Gigabyte MB's, but i also do not think the ECS motherboards are that bad of MB's. The ecs brand has been associated with building cheap computers because a lot of their boards use the SIS and ALI chipsets.

SRX660

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
ECS boards really ARE that bad, but they've gotten slightly better in the PCI-Express era.

I disagree with the first step there. Pulling the motherboard out to test it on its own is generally the last thing I do, because of the risks inherent. The first thing to do is check and make sure you're using at least 4 copper risers between the motherboard and the case. Next, make sure nothing small and metallic (usually a screw) has gotten caught between the motherboard and the case, grounding it out. After that, I generally pull everything from the board but CPU and power, and try to power it up. If those two components (mobo and cpu) are working fine, the cpu fan should spin up, and you should get an error beep from the system speaker.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
How are you going to check for copper risers without removing the motherboard?

The best procedure is to use the advice SRX660 provided. Remove the mobo, and benchtest it using only the minimum of components. Reply if you need help getting it setup on the bench.

dospoy

dospoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the response guys,

I tried everything to get it to work. And it did power up when I took it out of the case. I tried putting it back in very gently, and made sure there were no parts shorting it out, and it turned on fine. Originally I had all of my front usb ports plugged into the headers on the board....and after a lot of trial and error, it turns out that one of them doesnt work. I can have two of the headers in use, but as soon as I use a certain header, nothing will start up. weird...I never encountered that before. Anyway thanks for the tip (taking the mobo out and putting it on cardboard)

now I'm having problems with my hard drive, lol...nothing but problems.