Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mpeg Has Incorrect Run-Time

• Please log in to reply

Airbarto1

Airbarto1

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I have an mpeg that has content which fills a longer time than it is coded for. What I mean is that the run time that is specified is incorrectly too short. How do I change this so my media players/editors will recognize that the video is actually a lot longer than 30 seconds? Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it through Super Encoder

http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html

Set the output container to Mpeg II, output codec to Mpeg II, set the bitrate as 5000kbps for standard, 8000kbps for high quality

Use ffmpeg, tick use direct show

Avoid using other programmes whilst it is encoding

Airbarto1

Airbarto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
thanks. Okay i downloaded the super program and put in all that information. Do I have to play it all the way through for the new settings to take place? Also does it re-save the file in a different location or just change the file at its original location? Thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click anywhere, click to add mulimedia file, right click to set output location

Click encode, within a few seconds you should have a progress bar and a counter showing the size

It will take a while to encode, you keep the original file

Airbarto1

Airbarto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
when i hit encode it saved the file and went through the encoding process (progress bar went up) however it saved the file as the 30 second version, and didn't capture all the video that is in the file. Am I doing something wrong?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How big is the file?

Airbarto1

Airbarto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
well its saving at 5 megs and the original source file is over 100.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which media players have you used

Airbarto1

Airbarto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
well i got it to play fine in my windows media player classic but in windows movie maker it imports it as the 30 second version

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I had a few which Nero said were 14 seconds, but played them with the timer stopped at 14 seconds, Nero would only encode them to 14 seconds

Use Super Encoder to set the output container to AVI or WMV, if you get an error then untick direct show