Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download/save forums

• Please log in to reply

ERW

ERW

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Excuse me for this somewhat ignorant question, but I’ve been wondering, is there a program out there capable of saving forum topics/threads (or the entire forum itself) for offline use? Since I know of a forum which will be shutting down soon and I’d like to save certain topics.

The only possible method I’m aware of would be to either use the “Save Page” option available in certain browsers, or simply copy and paste. I would do this but there are literally hundreds of pages and threads and it would make for quite a daunting task...

Thanks in advance. :whistling:

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
IS this your forum or do you have admin rights to access functions such as SQL?

If not then unfortunately your only other alternative is to do an old fashioned copy & paste.

Almost all forums are SQL based so you would have to be able to access the database and pull the information out of it, convert it into text and then give you the option to save it.

You might contact a forum administrator and see if they would be willing to do a SQL dump and allow you access to it and then you could attempt to extract data from the SQL dump.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
http://www.httrack.com/ might be just what you are looking for.

--bmwboy

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

http://www.httrack.com/ might be just what you are looking for.

--bmwboy

I stand corrected. I downloaded this and tried it on my site and it did indeed download my entire site including forums and I was able to view them.

Technology is a wonderful thing. :blink:

Good call bmwboy :whistling:

ERW

ERW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, great program, bmwboy. Thanks a lot (and thanks to thenotch, too). :whistling:

Though, I've read the instructions and I've been tampering around with it, but I just can’t get it to work properly; it doesn't quite save the entire forum (only the index)...it also seems to go off and save other sites sometimes as well. :/ Any tips, please?

Edited by ERW, 07 November 2006 - 03:19 PM.