Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop hdd on desktop

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
ok i bought the 2.5" to 3.5" laptop to desktop hdd convertor. i have a 6.4 gig laptop hdd that has xp on it and i bought a 30 gig for it. i bought the convertors so i can copy the whole drive over. now heres the problem, im using a desktop (compaq presario) to copy it, it has xp on it as well. now when i have the hdd conected as a secondary the computer boots as normal, but when fully booted doesnt reconize the drive. so i shut it down and check the bios, the bios is fine and on auto detect. i also checked windows setting its all auto as well. please help, thanks :whistling:

Edited by AnthonyJ, 06 November 2006 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
So let me get this straight... Are you trying to copy the contents of your old 6.4 GB laptop hdd, to your new 30 GB laptop hdd? And your attempting to do so by connecting both laptop hard drives to your desktop? So during the process your desktop has a total of three drives connected to it: 1 desktop hdd, and 2 laptop hdd?

--Chris

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

So let me get this straight... Are you trying to copy the contents of your old 6.4 GB laptop hdd, to your new 30 GB laptop hdd? And your attempting to do so by connecting both laptop hard drives to your desktop? So during the process your desktop has a total of three drives connected to it: 1 desktop hdd, and 2 laptop hdd?

--Chris

no, im hooking the 6.4 up first coping the contents to this hdd, then putting the 30 in its place and coping to it

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Which hard drive isn't being recognized, the small one or the 30 GB?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Which hard drive isn't being recognized, the small one or the 30 GB?

neither

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
With the drive (either of them) in the system, if you right click on My Computer, go to Manage, and click on Disk Management, it should show you each physical device (Disk 0, Disk 1, CD-ROM 0, etc). Do the drives show up there at all?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

With the drive (either of them) in the system, if you right click on My Computer, go to Manage, and click on Disk Management, it should show you each physical device (Disk 0, Disk 1, CD-ROM 0, etc). Do the drives show up there at all?

it still isnt reconized

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
if I'm reading this right.....the drive shows up in the bios/setup but nowhere else?

are both file systems NTFS?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

if I'm reading this right.....the drive shows up in the bios/setup but nowhere else?

are both file systems NTFS?

no its not recognized at all, and no the desktop is ntfs, but the other laptop hdd's are fat32

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Hmmmm....not showing up in setup is a real problem. I'll look into it further but at the moment the only thing I can think of, would be to try another cable or swap the cable postion. Kind of a long shot....perhaps re-seating the cable and hard drive on that adapter. I'll see if I can find anything out on the Internet....

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
What's the brand name of that adapter?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

What's the brand name of that adapter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=190041959698

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Is there any chance that the adapter is upside down? Make sure the red stripe (pin 1) of the cable is next to the power connector. I would look at that ebay photo and make sure you have the right orientation.

edit...in other words....is it possible that the hardrive is 'upside down'. I can't tell if you can plug it in two different ways or not.

edit...you might want to try it on the secondary ide cable. Master or slave on the secondary ide cable.

Edited by macten, 07 November 2006 - 03:58 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Is there any chance that the adapter is upside down? Make sure the red stripe (pin 1) of the cable is next to the power connector. I would look at that ebay photo and make sure you have the right orientation.

edit...in other words....is it possible that the hardrive is 'upside down'. I can't tell if you can plug it in two different ways or not.

edit...you might want to try it on the secondary ide cable. Master or slave on the secondary ide cable.

tried all of that, i even unhooked the dvd drive from the secondary and left the harddrive hooked still nothing

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
can you tell if that drive is powering (spinning) up?