Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building an external HDD

• Please log in to reply

PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi. I am looking into building an external HDD using an internal HDD and a case. I know that doing it this way is cheaper than just buying an external HDD because I've been comparing prices at newegg. I'm looking to 100GB or less, and not looking to spend much money, but of course want a reliable and safe HDD. Any suggestions and how easy or technical this can be? Any specific cases & HDDs that you would or would not recommend? Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a general note...and this goes for all external HDs...try your hardest to get the self powered ones...the ones that draw their juice off of the computer via usb...are not worth the trouble....make sure you read the instructions...most of the time they tell you to jumper the drive in a specific way...if you don't jumper it that way it wont work.. (i.e. it says jumper it as CS and you jumper it as slave...well..it aint workin)...other than that...the "build it yourself" deals are pretty straight forward...as long as you have a reliable HD to stick in it...the cases are pretty much the same...all they do is supply an IDE to USB connection and power