Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sattelite internet

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello

Sorry once agian I have no idea where this topic should go.

Ok I was wondering if Sattelite internet would be good.

Like would I have the same ping as cable internet.

And how reliable is it.

Like do you get what you order or maybe it is a little bit slower?

Here is the sattlite internet where I might order from

www.Hughesnet.com

And anyone know any other good and cheaper Sattelite providers?

Just post the Link here!

K thx

~Snippy

Edited by Snippy, 06 November 2006 - 03:50 PM.

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Satellite can be dauntingly slow, I personally cannot recommend it for anyone who wants to game. No, you will most likely not get anywhere near broadband cable speeds.

--bmwboy

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Will it probably be around the same as DSL?

Edited by Snippy, 06 November 2006 - 06:01 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Because of the distances involved the latency will be very high. High latency is not what you want for online gaming. Also, most satellite packages may have pretty decent speeds for downloading, but only dial-up speeds for upstream.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Ok but i'm asking will it have around dial up latency?

Or maybe the same latency I got now

Which is very crap ping I get 100-150 ping in NewYork servers
and I live in new york.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
if i had a choice i'd take cable

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ADSL or cable service is your best bet, a city as large as new york should have an excellent communications grid most cities do, you should be able to find a DSL or Cable(apparently its good but i dont know anyone with it its all ADSL here more or less and its just the same for ping and speeds here).

Just look around see who is decent and offers good cheap service, satellite internet as has been mentioned will be slower and unlike hard wired systems much much more susceptible to interference from almost anything and given we are moving into a high solar flare period its been theorised that we could lose allot of our satellite communication grid for several years. Land lines are just better in pretty much everyday, all satellite does is add an extra much slower stage to the whole process of going on-line.

For on-line play you only really need about a quarter of a meg upload speed for decent speed, its just latencies that are the problem and once you are past the minimum your ping will come down to your ISP. So pick a good one some are better than others, if your local exchange is to old to handle all its bandwidth requirements thus lowering speeds and latencies what we can do here is get a petition to have it replaced sooner than normal. I think you need to get enough names(its only 20 i think names of residents they don't even have to want the internet) names here but i don't know if that would even work.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

ADSL or cable service is your best bet, a city as large as new york should have an excellent communications grid most cities do, you should be able to find a DSL or Cable(apparently its good but i dont know anyone with it its all ADSL here more or less and its just the same for ping and speeds here).

Just look around see who is decent and offers good cheap service, satellite internet as has been mentioned will be slower and unlike hard wired systems much much more susceptible to interference from almost anything and given we are moving into a high solar flare period its been theorised that we could lose allot of our satellite communication grid for several years. Land lines are just better in pretty much everyday, all satellite does is add an extra much slower stage to the whole process of going on-line.

For on-line play you only really need about a quarter of a meg upload speed for decent speed, its just latencies that are the problem and once you are past the minimum your ping will come down to your ISP. So pick a good one some are better than others, if your local exchange is to old to handle all its bandwidth requirements thus lowering speeds and latencies what we can do here is get a petition to have it replaced sooner than normal. I think you need to get enough names(its only 20 i think names of residents they don't even have to want the internet) names here but i don't know if that would even work.

I know I want cable but it's not avaible where I live.

How much would it cost to have it wired to my house?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would have to check it varies its not all that much here but distance is a factor its very rare here to be to far from the main line however you may be quite far away. Its usually a days digging to get it installed at least it was when we had it done it was a long time ago though.

Contact the local cable companies see what they charge and go for the cheapest.