Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power up for 20sec and go off

• Please log in to reply

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Got some news to add now.

Finally got the machine to stay on and was replicating the orginal posters problem exactly.

To get to that point all I did was take out the CPU and then replace the CPU ... and put it back exactly how it was before. Even though it shut off after 20 seconds I still viewed it as progress. Though was pretty bummed when it happened because at first I thought it was just going to stay on.

So, after doing this a few times I think it is the PSU. The machine seemed to shut off whenever the HD started spinning up. Well, I wanted to test a few times to see if that was indeed what was going on ... I had planned on unplugging the HD to see if it would stay on but before I got the chance one of the times I started it up I got a bright flash of light from the PSU and now I'm not getting any power at all. (Guessing something blew ... I hope it didn't fry anything else). I didn't get smoke or anything so ... at least that's a good sign.

Unfortenately I hadn't hooked a monitor up to it yet so I don't know how far into the booting process it got. I guess I'm getting a new PSU now ><

I'll keep you guys posted.

Edited by cliff283, 08 November 2006 - 10:39 AM.

Advertisements

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Got a new PSU and it's staying on.

I recommend getting one that is 24-pin. I don't know how far I'm getting into the bios at this point, but I know it's staying on.

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Got too excited and jumped the gun, back to the drawing board ... back to just getting power for about 20 secs :whistling:

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Doesn't matter what I have plugged in ... after 20 seconds it shuts down. How very very annoying. No beeps, no clue as to what it is ... back to thinkin' it's the MB ><

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yeah, I've had a problem like this with a motherboard before.

The MB is really the only part that me and the orginal poster have in common ... ah well, that other PSU was crap anyway.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
My best guess for you is what i said earliar and that it is a heat problem or a bad component, best bet is to pull it out throw it on a piece of cardboard with cpu 1 stick of ram and video card if u are using one that will tell you if it the mobo or if it is overheating.

natdaddy1230

natdaddy1230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
If my mb is bad what do i do i am only 16 i have a hard time giting monny i got this off ebay and the person i got it from is not a user any more

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I don't know, but I'm not too mad about it (Other than I wasted my time working on it).

I bought the motherboard "Open box" from newegg (Which means it was used and got sent back for something).

I paid $15 bucks for the thing so I'm not all that concerned about it. You can wait until I replace mine to see if it's the problem (Just got a different brand, new this time ... lesson learned ... ) and if it's still dorked up it's not the MB.

I can almost garentee that's the problem though (I've seen similar behavior with a dorked MB before). The odds are just too great against it being something else, as that is the only part we have in common and we're having the same identical problem.

You can wait to see what happens with my system, but I'd start going through ebay's channels if you're interested in getting your money back.

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be over heating. I actually cracked a tiny piece off of the plastic arm used to puch the heatsink down without noticing. Therefore the heat sink wasnt completely touching the processor. My pc shut off in about 20 seconds. I bought a new heatsink for like $20-30 and its worked like a charm. Also artic silver 5 helped.

natdaddy1230

natdaddy1230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i pay $65.00 :whistling: i relly what my monny back o well

Advertisements

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My motherboard literally came with some of the small pins in the socket bent with two bright red stickers pointing to the bend ...

It's not rocket science to figure out that could be the problem, but I trusted the manufacturer who said it should still function with that defect. Oh well.

natdaddy1230

natdaddy1230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I fixed it it was the cpu fan was not cliped on all the way it run good thanks for all the help i know were to come to git help now :rofl: :help: :lol: :) :rofl: :D :) :whistling: :blink: :help:

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My motherboard was bad. Put in a new one and I'm able to start the windows setup wizard ... now onto more fun problems ><