Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with adding enclosure bay

• Please log in to reply

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok. here is what I've done. I placed both jumpers on both HD's as cable select then I booted the enclosure by itself, to see if the enclosure was able to boot, yes it booted. I then placed the enclosure at the end of the ribbon cable and the internal as the second. The enclosure booted and I was able to access the internal as I would a slave. I then placed the internal at the the end and the enclosure as the second and again I have the internal that booted and the enclosure I can access as I would a slave.

Any Ideas as what to do now?

Advertisements

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok. here is what I've done. I placed both jumpers on both HD's as cable select then I booted the enclosure by itself, to see if the enclosure was able to boot, yes it booted. I then placed the enclosure at the end of the ribbon cable and the internal as the second. The enclosure booted and I was able to access the internal as I would a slave. I then placed the internal at the the end and the enclosure as the second and again I have the internal that booted and the enclosure I can access as I would a slave.

Any Ideas as what to do now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so the drives are bootable...good...

now...to acomplish what you're wanting to do...hook up the ide cable in whatever way is teh easiest (i.e. if it's easiest to get the drive bay on the end connector and t he primary drive on the middle...then do it that way)...then boot into bios...and set your boot order to have the drive bay drive as the primary boot device...then the primary drive as the second boot device...then the cd-rom then floppy...if you've got one...

then when you boot up...it should boot to the bay drive....if you turn off the computer and remove that drive...it should boot to the primary drive

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'll try that!

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

so the drives are bootable...good...

now...to acomplish what you're wanting to do...hook up the ide cable in whatever way is teh easiest (i.e. if it's easiest to get the drive bay on the end connector and t he primary drive on the middle...then do it that way)...then boot into bios...and set your boot order to have the drive bay drive as the primary boot device...then the primary drive as the second boot device...then the cd-rom then floppy...if you've got one...

then when you boot up...it should boot to the bay drive....if you turn off the computer and remove that drive...it should boot to the primary drive

Ok, I did what you suggested. I connected the primary to the second and the enclosure to the end of the ribbon. In the BIOS I set it up like this:
Boot Sequence=
1- Hard Disk
2- CDROM
3- Floppy
Boot Priority=
1)Cho S. :WDC WD800BB-55JKC0 (which is the HD with-in the enclosure)
2)CHO M. :WDC WD800BB-00CAA0 (Which is the internal HD)
If I have the enclosure at the end of the ribbon, it boots and the primary HD acts as a slave. When I shut down the computer and remove the enclosure, it gives me a Disk Read Error Occured message.

When I place the primary at the end and the enclosure on the second connector, The enclosure is read and acts as a slave.

What ever HD I have on the second connector I cannot seem to boot to.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
grr...ok.. here's something else to try

can you put your cdrom on the center connector of the IDE cable that it's plugged into...and the drive bay on the end connector of that cable? then put the primary drive on the end of the cable it's attached to?

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for your help! I'm at the fire house for 24hours and won't be home until the late morning tomorrow. I plan on taking up the problem again then. I'll try you suggestion when I get home. Thanks again!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just post back when you've got time...hope you've got a quiet shift (do i smell smoke?)

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, I did as you suggested and a few other attempts and here is what I've discovered.

Nothing seems to work!

I attempted to place the enclosure on the end of the DVDROM ribbon cable and the DVDROM in the middle. That resulted in niether one being recognized by the bios nor Windows XP.

So I attempted to put the DVDROM back on the end and the Enclosure in the middle, that had the same results.

I then tried, again, the put the enclosure on my old ultra ATA 100 PCI card. This time I recieved an option to choose the SCSI in the "Hard Drive Boot Priority" field of the BIOS. I placed the SCSI as the first boot priority and the internal HD as second and Bootable add-in card as the third. this resulted in the computer hanging at the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" on boot and I left is there for the whole 24 hours I was at the firehouse. This problem happens with the old Ultra ATA 100 and the new Ultra ATA 133 PCI cards.

I attempted, again, to place the enclosure at the end of the HD ribbon cable and the Internal HD to the middle. I get a disk read error when I try to boot from the middle of the cable. Yes, I switched them around, chose the correct boot priority and got the same problem.

Then I removed the enclosure and place that HD on it's own ribbon cable and attach it to the Ultra ATA 100 card. I chose to correct boot priority (SCSI as the first boot priority) but it hung on the verifying DMI pool data screen.

The last thing I did was to attach both HDs to the same ribbon cable, without the enclosure, and tried to boot from the middle of the cable. The result was the same as before, Disk read error!

Anything else? I've tried to contact MSI about this problem but recieved no responce.

John

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Alright, I finally heard from MSI. They suggested that I use an USB enclosure and boot fom there. I have the option in the Boot Priority menu to choose the USB HD but when I attempt it, I get a Blue Screen of Death- you know, the kind that says that "your computer has been stopped to avoid damage.

I've attempted a number of times, but the same thing.

MSI tech support (such as it is) stated that they sent me a HPUSBFW file from a personal e-mail account that can support boot from USB devices. Well I never got it or it was seen as spam.

Do you think that not having this file would cause my Blue screen problem when attempting to boot to the USB?

Trying to get this enclosure bay to work, I've never felt so stupid in my life. Especially since it was so easy with my FIC MB.

Advertisements

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Alright, I did some homework. All of it was damb confusing. In laymens terms, I'm screwed. With everything that we've tried, something should have worked. Unless you have a brainstorm, I think I'll give-up. I hate that because with my FIC MB it was so easy to do.

The answer I got from MSI was to use HPUSBFW as a boot fix. They sent me a zip file that contained this as it's help file:

HPUSBF¡G®æ¦¡¤ÆÀH¨­ºÐ
HPUSBFW¡G®æ¦¡¤ÆÀH¨­ºÐ¨Ã¦w¸Ë¶}¾÷µ{¦¡

«Ü­«­n HPUSBFW¦b¦w¸Ë®É¡A·|­n§Ú­Ì¿ï¾Ü¤@­ÓDOS¨t²Îªº©ñ¸m¦ì¸m¡A¤@¯ëXP§ä¤£¨ì³o¼Ëªº¦ì¸m¥i¥H¿ï¾Ü¡A¦nª±ªº¦a¤è¨Ó¤F³á.........
§âHPUSBFW³o­ÓÀɮ׸ÑÀ£ÁY¡AªF¦è³q³q¦b¸Ì­±¡A§â¦ì¸m«ü¦V¸ÑÀ£ÁYªº¸ê®Æ§¨´NOK¤F¡I
HPUSBFW³o­ÓÀɶW¯«©_ªº¡AFORMAT¦nUSB®É¡A°O±o§â HPUSBFW ¸ê®Æ§¨¤ºªºªF¦èCOPY¨ìUSB¤º¤~¥i¥HÅX°Ê¥úºÐ³á ¡I

and two applications: HPUSBF and HPUSBFW

I read numerous articles on Booting from USB. The problem is, what I want to do is boot to a full WinXP from my Enclosure. I read that it is possible from the USB, this apparently takes a lot of code writing and registry manipulation on a fresh copy of WinXP.

If you find or know of a fix to get my enclosure bay to work, let me know. Thanks for all your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'll keep thinking....because...as you said....something should have worked

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

i'll keep thinking....because...as you said....something should have worked

Thanks for all your help! It's nice to know when I'm idiot, there is someone to bail me out.