Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video driver problem.

• Please log in to reply

ivaniam

ivaniam

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi I'm new to this website but seems that I try looking everywhere for my answer.

Ok so I've installed the latest driver for my ati radeon x700 video card and everytime I reboot, my pc shuts down right before loading the welcome screen.

I have tried drivercleaner and omega drivers but seems that this problem doesn't go away. I took a print screen picture so you can see. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Posted Image

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Neat. First problem, you don't have some of your chipset drivers installed...give us model and manufacturer of your computer or motherboard, and we can help you sort that out.

Try this: completely uninstall all ATI drivers, boot to Safe Mode, and run driver cleaner there for ATI.

ivaniam

ivaniam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Tried that already..............I got an asus a7n8x deluxe, 500 watt psu, amd athlon xp 2400 with 1gb of ram

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Ok, install these:
http://www.nvidia.co...winxp_5.10.html
assuming you have Windows XP, and let's see what effect that has on the problem.

ivaniam

ivaniam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
k I'm doing that now.

ivaniam

ivaniam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nope....................restarted and it still shows the multiple list of video controllers.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Is it still showing the smbus controller and ethernet controller under other devices?

Also: Do you currently have listings for ATI in Add/Remove Programs?

ivaniam

ivaniam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah those 2 came off...............no there's no ati software on add/remove.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Alright, cool. Now that you've got the proper chipset drivers installed, run DC in safe mode again, reboot to normal mode, and try installing the latest ATI drivers for that card. Let's see what happens.

Also: I'm guessing you've tried right clicking on the cards in device manager, selecting "uninstall," and restarting, and it has no effect, correct?

ivaniam

ivaniam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah I've tried that but haven't installed drivers in safe mode. I'll do that now.

ivaniam

ivaniam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nothing, does the same, had to uninstall driver and run driver cleaner.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
well...does it work even though it's showing multiple cards like that?

ivaniam

ivaniam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No it shuts down before the welcome screen. ok I switched cable from dvi to vga..........there was 2 listed rather than 8...................could be a video card hardware problem??