Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to build a website but i dont know where to start..

• Please log in to reply

CeltS NatS

CeltS NatS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I would like to build a website, but i have never ever done this before. Could i get some tip on what programs to use and where to start ???

I have no clue cos this is totally new to me :whistling:

maybe i should add that i dont know anything about programs, im a real geek

Edited by CeltS NatS, 07 November 2006 - 07:10 AM.

Advertisements

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Well, you either wing it with raw html, or you can get a program that helps you as you go along. Most people will tell you that raw html is the best option.

You can check out the w3c's tutorial's on html, xhtml, css and php for starters. It's very easy to understand and they give you examples as you go along as well as work you can do on your own.

Check them out here: http://www.w3schools.com/

Otherwise you can use a program like Macromedia Dreamweaver. I also use this program and it is extremely user-friendly and very effecient. It also helps you to learn html as you go along. You can use it together with other Macromedia products (such as Flash and Fireworks) to create some brilliant web-sites.

It all depends on what you want your site to do (you'll have to consider things like javascript, flash, dynamic/static pages, etc before you start). All this is explained in both Dreamweaver and the w3c tutorials though. Good luck! Hope this helped.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
First and foremost step is to get at least a basic understanding of HTML and how web pages work. Without it you will be fumbling around and forever asking questions.

View the source code (ctrl-u) of certain sites to compare what their sites output is with their code.

As stated, visit http://www.w3schools.com and get yourself educated on the basics.

You can use Dreamweaver (this is what I use but is rather expensive) or a similar (and less expensive) program like TopStyle or NVU or you can do it the good old-fashioned way and open up Notepad (or something similar -- NOT Word though!) and just code it in plain HTML.

A low-cost solution is to download NVU (page design), The Gimp (for graphics), and SmartFTP (to FTP your files to your host). This is a zero cost solution as all three are free.

The best solution (in my opinion) is Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash (or Swish), and SmartFTP. You will also pay through the nose for all those.

Take a look at my signature for some good resources for designing web pages. There are some great tips and valuable information at these sites. Utilize the web, Google, and like you are doing now, places like G2G.

CeltS NatS

CeltS NatS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thx alot boys, as the noob i am, i will give it a try.. but i cant promise there will actually become something out of this hahaha, ill keep u updated tho !

again, thx alot for the good explanations of everything.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I agree with what the notch says. I first learned HTML and tried to make my own layout with just HTML, then I started making templates and stuff in Photoshop, and then coding it in Dreamweaver. I'm still not very experienced and since they just started the WC3 University here I'm gonna start in that and learn CSS and stuff. I think that since you haven't really had any experience you should read the tutorials and then join the University here when it gets started.