Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer boots up but the display screen does not stays blank screen

• Please log in to reply

mamaterp007

mamaterp007

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok here is the deal.. i was going to install a new graphics card and as i read the instruction booklet it told me to with the old card in uninstall all of ati and then put the new one in and follow the installation instruction.. so i did this although when i went to start up my computer it would boot up but was only blank screen.. every thing was running in the computer only the display screen would not show up... i have put the old graphics card back in, restarted it and restarted it.. I don't know what to do can someone please give me some ideas on how to fix it.. thanks so much :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does your computer also have onboard graphics as well as the video card that you've put in (both old and new)? if so try plugging you monitor into the onboard graphics port...

mamaterp007

mamaterp007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no i dont believe so.. it was a home built computer that my cousin built for me and i think we only put in the added one.. i dont know too much about computers so thats way i am on here. there is another plug in up toward the top of the computer that i believe is another monitor port but the monitor cord will not plug in to it they both have the pokey on them. is there any other way i can fix it

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does your connector look like this...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have the blue one on the motherboard...up by the top of computer then you have onboard video..you can connect it and see what you get...i cant attach a pic for you...tried twice...sorry

Edited by happyrck, 08 November 2006 - 10:32 AM.

mamaterp007

mamaterp007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes both the monitor and the port on the back of the computer look like that.. i suppose i will need to get a adaptor to plug it in

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the one on the computer that has the "pokey" is a serial port...not a monitor port...