Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Counter-Strike Lag issue

• Please log in to reply

rodger1212

rodger1212

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have just started playing counter-strike with my friends. I have comcast cable internet, and I used to play UT2004 with no problems. When I play CS, my latency spikes really high. If I am playing 1 on 1, or 2 vs 2, its usually ok, but when I play a game like 4vs 4, my ping is fine sometimes, then it will spike up to like 4000, then drop back down to between 17 and 30, and then fly up again, causing me to have serious lag. If anyone can help me, that would be great. I scanned for spyware and I found nothing, I used XsoftSpy, Adaware SE, spydoctor, and Microsoft antispyware, and I found nothing on all of them. Get me back.

Rodger

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Hey rodger1212,

Well "lag" or the feeling of being laggy can be cause by a few things. Is it just a certain server that you are experiencing this lag on, or is it or all servers. Also you may need to adjust your rates console.

hows your loss and choke? Type net_graph 3 in console and it will display it in the bottom right corner.

Also, geekstogo.com has a brandnew CS Server. Bring all your friends and maybe we can play against each other!

CS Server: 70.84.146.218:27015

l

IOStream

IOStream

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I'm having a big issue with Counter-Strike Source. I figured since this is the "counter-Strike" lag thread I'd post here ;)

Mine doesn't spike, necessarly, it starts off at a normal 150 - 170, then goes up from there... (150...280...350....650...726....890...960.....) pritty much in a matter of a few seconds starting from the time I enter the server, then stays over 900+ making it impossible to play.

I get about 25-40 choke, but it goes up and down.. not steady at all. After a few second, I see about a frame every 5 seconds.. then the choke is from 1-10.. but still bounces around. Depending on the server, the ping will be from 1000 to 1700.
Posted Image

I have DSL 256k, which isn't the best, but its much better then Dial-up. Under these circumstances I should be hitting around 150-180, and have hit that before on a regular basis.

I cannot find a pattern for it, meaning, it either works (low ping), or it doesn't. When I have high ping, the server I'm in doesn't matter, I try as many as I can, with bots, without... still no avail. I've tried turning everything off except steam and CS:S. I've turned off every computer on the network, connected straight to the modem, turned off fire walls....::exhales:: ...still nothing. :tazz:

Well.. thats everything I can think of right now. Any ideas?

rodger1212

rodger1212

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah, sometimes I have the same issue, it goes up in a pattern, yet sometimes it will just spike up in the thousands, but then it goes back down, its driving me nuts and I can't fix it! I have also tried turning everything off, nothing here either. Wish I could help you, but I got the same issue...

IOStream

IOStream

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok well.. I solved it, but I think the deal is a little more complicated then just Steam/Counter-Strike.
Other computers on my network are ran by people who arn't as computer-smart as I am. I've been fixing, deleteing, removing... doing all sorts of stuff to these computers, finding lots of viruses, ad-ware, spy-ware, mal-ware... you name it. One of them will be reformatted tomorrow.

One thing that is rather important to look for when dealing with these issues (game lag that seems to have no reason for being there), is bad programs on the network. Your computer, or even other computers on that network, may have programs that you dont know about trying to access the internet. When I connected one of the computers in my house up to the network, the lights on my router went crazy, and none of the computers were doing anything. Thats a big "red light" telling you that there are things on a computer that doesn't belong there.

A few things you might want to do include (do this on ALL computers on the network):

-Windows Update

-Free online Panda Anti-virus scan

-download Ad-aware, and run it

-go through the Task list manager, learn what each and every process is, and what its purpose is.

-going through the start up tab by typing "msconfig" in the run window, turn off the things you dont need to start up.

-going through ad/remove programs, take out all the crap you dont know what it is.

When I turn off all of those computers that are on the network, I then have to turn off mine, unplug both the router, and the modem.. wait a few minutes... then turn on ONLY MY computer, then plug the other two things back in. After i do all that, I seem to have fine ping. Thats the long of it... so, maybe that'll help you out. Good luck!

rodger1212

rodger1212

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I do daily spyware scan with numerous programs, but I do know about the panda online scan. There are no computers on my network, just mine, so thats not the issue, and I still need the windows up date. I will try what you said and see if that gives me any results, thanks for your input and Ill get back to you about it.

cs_help me please

cs_help me please

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi whenever i go to join certain servers i get stopped with an error, Lan servers are restricted (class c). also when i join servers my latency will sit on 600 minimum and my friend will join and his will sit on 17 and i have faster internet and computer than him... i was wondering if there was a setting that i have to change to make my latency decrease... PLZ HELP ME.. thanks :tazz:

<-SeKt->|* [S]hadow

<-SeKt->|* [S]hadow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey im new to this chat but not really new to cs

ive had it for about 8 months

starting on friday i have been lag spiking really bad but my ping goes back to 15 then 10 seconds later i will freeze for about 5 seconds and then it will happen again. sometimes its not as bad but i still spike like crazy. it is not just the server i play on and my ping is fine. i just scanned norton and ad-aware and did a disk cleanup and defagment but still need help.

please help me i will post a new topic to this so post your replies in there please!

o and Ditto i would like to scrim your clan too if you would like to

thanks all!

PLEASE HELP

Shadow

bluedevil16

bluedevil16

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I get laggy sometimes to but I think its just the server I am in and always playing at, U got to make sure that ur close to the server and the server isnt packed with like 16 people on each team... :tazz:

pacmansg

pacmansg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hay im having some serouse lag problems im not at all sure why! but see my ping use to be only 20s 30s but now for no reason at all its 500s and 600s i cant play at all :tazz: ;)

so if anyone could help me it would be grate PLZ & THANK YOU!! ;) :)

Advertisements

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey all!!!
Well CS is a wonderful game isn't it? Lol :tazz:
There are many ingame commands you can do to fix your ping proplems like these, but first always choose a server in your country and use filters to make sure you list servers with pings less than 150.

When your ingame try these commands to lower your ping
> rate 7500 <- higher is better, but thats good enough for cable.
> cl_updaterate 60 <- Now this one effects choke, and really depends on the server if you are getting bad choke (check with net_graph 3) lower it, as always the higher the better but it depends on the server and effects choke.
> cl_cmdrate 80 <- this one i dont know what it does exactly but i like to keep it high. I've played around with it and doesn't seem to effect my ping.
> net_graph 1 or 2 or 3 shows your network connection.

Just a side note always choose servers from ISP you always get the best ping off those. And if the pings on the servers tab are huge dont join the game it means something is wrong with your net. You can always test your net on an online bandwidth test page. Oh yeah, on the steam main tab select "settings" than the internet tab at the top and select your connection. Hope that helps.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
we know many of you have problems, stop posting it over and over again. go to pcpitstop.com and do some of the basic ping tests there. i used to have a high ping, then i went there and they had like solutions and stuff and it got fixed.

richy779

richy779

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
hiii

pacmansg

pacmansg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) :tazz: iv figured it out with the help from all of u my lag has gone down gratly thank you all

anyways for the most important news iv made a conclusion that no matter what if u have wireless and ur useing ur naibors ( cant spell i know lol) connection then lol when he gos on to it thats what is laging me

i would like to know if that is it can it be a cause thank you again for all ur help :) ;) :) ;)

fragfester

fragfester

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i went to a server with no people on it and still got lag. i also tried running cleaning softwares, still nothing. lastly i typed the things and console and got nothing. i boguht it and have to play with lag can some one help. can some one plz help me!!!!! :blink: :whistling:

Edited by fragfester, 09 November 2006 - 08:39 PM.