Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor and hard drive turn of

• Please log in to reply

carol1

carol1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I turn on the monitor then the hard drive, the monitor then turns of so does the hard drive. It had shut down a couple of times the previous week. I've unplugged it, left it for a while but it still does it. It has windows 2000

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. You power up the computer and monitor, but both shut down very quickly? Does Windows actually load? Have you tried booting into Safe Mode (or Last Known Good Configuration if that's an option)?

Do you have any kind of Diagnostics (like Dell provides or that might have come with a new hard drive) that you can possibly boot from and run tests on the hard drive? If you can boot into Safe Mode, you can run Check Disk (open My Computer, right click over C:\, Properties, Tools).

Is your Antivirus up-to-date? Do you also run any kind of spyware software on a regular basis? Is there anything at all that has happened with the computer just prior to it starting this bahavior? Have you installed any software or hardware?