Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Code 41 error with graphics card

• Please log in to reply

thilton19

thilton19

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello All,

I've got a client with a Dell OptiPlex G280 that has an ATI X300 graphic card installed. Some time ago he came in, booted his system and reported that the windows scrolling in some programs (QuickBooks) was really jerky and slow, however the overall dsplay seemed fine.

When I checked the hardware manager I noticed that while the drivers for loaded for the card there was a Code 41 error stating that the hardware was not functioning properly. So, I uninstalled the drivers and forced a hardware find. Windows identified the card correctly and loaded the drivers, however I once again got the Code 41 error.

Next I downloaded the latest drivers, and installed them. No dice; same error, same issues.

OK, so I Google this error and see some articles but they pertain to CD/DVD players and not video cards. Hmm..

So, I then noticed that this system also has an on-board video card, so I uninstall and remove the ATI card and connect using the on-board Intel chipset. Same issue; I get video but I also get the Code 41 error that the hardware is not functioning properly. :whistling:

While I'm certain that there is some registry hack that cna be done to get this to work properly, I' not about to start wacking away at the registry without knowing what the heck I'm doing. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any advice here? I don't want to spend the money for a new card when I feel that the existing card is actually fine. Plus, I'm not confident that installing a new card wold solve the problem.

Thanks for any advice you all can provide. :blink:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If his system is still under warranty, call Dell technical. But since you're getting errors on the onboard and PCI card, maybe the video on the MB is going bad. Did you reseat the ATI card?

thilton19

thilton19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did try reseating the ATI card and got the same response. Unfortunately, the system is no longer under warranty, so I'm left to fend on my own.

Since i get the same issue with both the on board graphics chipset and the ATI card, I'm not willing to spend the money for a new graphics card. I'm also concerned it's a motherboard issue. (wild, uneducated guess)