Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Files to recapture memory

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I attempted to do defrag of c drive last night and was advised that I need to delete some files in order to have enough memory to run defrag, so I put all my scans and pictures on Disc in order to shore up some, memory. I uninstalled Limewire, cause I don't use it anyway and I know there might be some short clips in Movie Maker, but I don't know how to get at these four files to delete them.

This also brings up an important question what is the acceptable size of harddrive to run Windows XP with Office 2003.

Currently now, my computeer is running with a free space of 10%, it used to be 30% and I don't know how come such a drop. This is what I have on there now in terms of programs.

Spybot S&D 17.15 mgs
Ad-Aware 3.42 mgs
AVG Anti-virus 22.77 megs
Adobe Flash Playe Active 9x
Adobe Reader 7.08 65 megs
CCleaner 1.36 megs
HP Extended Capabilities(Scanner/Printer) 253 megs
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 6 119 megs
Logitec Quik Cam 201 megs
Microsoft Office Pro 636 megs
Nero OEM Burner Services 42.9 megs
WinAmp 20.78
Yahoo Services, Browser, Toolbar etc. 140.4 megs

Please advise what is the next step to alleviate this situation

Waynf

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
How large is the hard drive? According to Microsoft's site:

Office Professional 2003 requirements (http://www.microsoft...nfo/proreq.mspx)
400 MB of available hard-disk space; optional installation files cache (recommended) requires an additional 200 MB of available hard-disk space; optional installation of Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2003 requires an additional 190 MB of available hard-disk space

Windows XP Professional (http://www.microsoft...on/sysreqs.mspx)
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

Have you run Disk Cleanup or some other software to remove unnecessary files (temp, bak, etc)? That would be my next step. You can also search for large files to see what's there.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I ran disk cleanup last night and recaptured 775,000 bytes of space, but it only made a difference of 1% in total available space.

Hard Drive Specifications:
Capacity: 8,447,328,256
Used Space: 7,516,516.352
Free space: 936,811,904

This is result of latest Disk Cleanup

However there are four files in Movie Maker which I would like to delete, but don't know how, plsease advise.

WayneF

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It looks like Movie Maker saves video files as .WMV and projects as .MSWMM. The default save location (for me) is C:\My Documents\My Videos, but you can search *.WMV and *.MSWMM to find the files.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks for the wmv info. Now is my harddrive large enough to handle Windows XP Pro?

Waynf

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What OS are you running now? Are you going to upgrade or format and install clean? To confirm, is your hard drive is 8GB? If so, you have less than 1GB of space and the answer is no.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks