Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP x64 install has problems logging on

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi all,

I have been using Windows XP x64 trial on my main PC for a while now (6 month trial, around 2 left when I purchase it). My computer has been fine and solid for such a long time, and I often leave it downloading Linux Torrents via my Bittorrent client. My PC had been on for around 5 days, during this time I installed a few programs which required restarts. I on each chose the option "manually restart later". Today, the 5th, possibly 6th day running, I decided to run one of the installed progems and knew I had to reboot my PC to do so. I rebooted my PC and it loaded up fine, and I was prompted my username and password (by my win 2003 style logon). I logged on and nothing loaded. My background loaded, and I was able to move my cursor but I had no taskbar.

After a few minutes I decided to leave it for a while and came back to it about 10 minutes later, I knew this was strange as from logon my PC usually loads in seconds. I C+A+D into Taskmanager and chose the "processes" tab, I couldn't see "explorer.exe" running. I then opened the applications tab, click new task and typed "explorer.exe" to get the error "explorer.exe is not a valid win32 application". I rebooted the PC and explorer.exe was not running and I got the same error when I tried again.

I was able to get system restore up by using the task manager and I set it to restore to one week ago. When my computer rebooted I still had problems logging on. A while ago, when I was on this forum one person had a problem with his XP install and somebody gave him a command to type in on start > run. When he ran this command it asked for his XP CD and then it fixed any missing or corrupt files from the CD. I would like to give that a go and it would be most appreciated if somebody could tell me this command or help me fix my problem.

Thanks (and sorry for the long explaination),

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow (note the space!)
You will be prompted to insert your XP CD.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

System File Checker (sfc)
Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.