Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

If I Leave My Computer On & Turn My Monitor Off Will It Ruin?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I occasionally walk away from my pc to eat, watch tv, or talk on the phone. But I know I'll be right back on the pc and I don't want the system to stress by shutting off the pc and turning it back on. Because everyone knows that each time you turn on your pc the system is bolted with electricty and the sudden shock jolts it's lifetime away. What I do when I walk away from my pc when I know I'll be back again, is turn off the monitor. That way when I get back all I have to do is turn the monitor on again and my pc is there ready to go. I do this as well to save energy.

My questions are:

1. Is this a good or bad thing to do?

2. Will this harm my pc or monitor?

Edited by superstar, 07 November 2006 - 11:58 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
shouldn't hurt anything...about the only thing is that you might wear out the monitor's power button or it might reduce the total life of the monitor...but not by much...by the time it would cause an issue..you'll probably have a new monitor...

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Turning off a monitor has the same issues as turning off the computer. I would suggest using a screen saver instead of turning it off and/or use the power save option.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Turning off a monitor has the same issues as turning off the computer. I would suggest using a screen saver instead of turning it off and/or use the power save option.

just put your system on stand by

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I hate standby and hibernation.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
PC Parts dont last forever even if you do turn the pc off all it does is increases the lifespan of the pc.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

PC Parts dont last forever even if you do turn the pc off all it does is increases the lifespan of the pc.

Sorry, that is not correct. There is far more to it than just the powered on time.

Try turning your computer on and off constantly and see how long it lasts (for others, please don't try this at home).

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Sorry, that is not correct. There is far more to it than just the powered on time.

Try turning your computer on and off constantly and see how long it lasts (for others, please don't try this at home).

dont forget the high heat

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I agree with Superstar....stanby and hybernation sooner or later create problems. I turn off just the monitor.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Heat is an issue, as well as bad power, environmental factors such as dust, dirt, etc.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
COPUTERS ARE LIKE WOMEN. YOU LOVE EM AND HATE EM, BUT YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT EM. THEY ARE ALSO LIKE KIDS. YOU HAVE TO INVEST AND TAKE CARE OF THEM, DUST THEM OFF, WIPE THERE FACES (SCREENS).... MAN THIS THING IS GETTING OLD. WHY DON'T WE ALL GET TOGETHER AND INVENT A ROBOT THAT WILL DO EVERYTHING FOR US AND SEND US THE INFO TELEPATHICALLY???

LOL

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I agree with Superstar....stanby and hybernation sooner or later create problems. I turn off just the monitor.

I too agree with this...

there are people that leave their computers on for years at a time...I do NOT recommend this practice because usually there are error message's before the "crash"....if you aren't around to see them then you have no idea what happened...I get calls from clients on a regular basis when they discover that the computer is dead after leaving it on overnite and the will not boot at all...I believe if you dont plan on using the computer for a couple of hours ...shut it off....now I'm sure that some people are going to post about how long they leave their systems on for without any problems....I have started and stopped mine at least 5 times a day for the last 3 years without any problems

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I would just turn off my computer when im done for a night. I dont want my computer to overheat, especially when I have a power supply with 300watts and I have a video card that supposed required 350 watts.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Personally, the only way you should leave a computer constantly on is if you have a fire system, UPS, air conditioning system, over-temp shutdown, etc.

Often a computer will fail at power up, but the risks of leaving it on all the time over shadows that.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Turning your PC on and off wont affect its life significantly, think about it this way, its an electrical device its supposed to be jolted with electricity if you have a bad power supply then turning it on and off when you leave it might be an issue but if it isn't then your fine turning the whole time when you leave it for more than say half an hour to 45 minutes you are better turning it off completely.

Hibernate and standby it depends entirely on how well your OS handles it windows older than XP but different OSs handle hibernate very well and as long as you actually shut down every now and again hibernate is just fine, standby well thats just pointless new PCs and OSs boot so fast there's no point.