Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major System Error

• Please log in to reply

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
yeah i would say that it is time for a new motherboard. especially with all that cooling, i have 3 case fans and a cpu fan and i have 51 cpu temp and 32 mobo temp, it could be a burnt out motherboard that isn't qute dead yet but is dying.

Edited by Dan1887, 10 November 2006 - 04:18 PM.

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Well, I first bought this system unbelievably over a year ago, and have sent it back and forward to my Uncle who is a qualified tech. He did all the testing and changing things etc but it was up to me to replace the mobo/processor which I've still not done. On the speedfan report, could you tell me which is the motherboard temp, I presume it's 'Remote'? I'm going to risk everything, turn the fans on and leave it for a while, see what happens to the temps. If the mobo blows, then it blows. Hopefully it wont knock out my hard drives/dvd-rw drive/processor etc but it's a risk I'm willing to take at the moment, Thank you

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
watch both remote and local, if you see a red up arrow heat increasing, the local shouldn't go over 40and neither should the remote

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I presume the remote and local temps are the motherboard sensors..and by '40' you mean 40C? I know a motherboard should be around 25-35 and 40 does seem very high but 42..43...47..that's just plain stupid. I've e-mailed Gigabyte and asked them to take a look at this thread to see if they can offer any advice. If not it looks like I'll have to buy a new motherboard. I just noticed every time I attempt to run a virus scan after about 2 minutes of the scan starting it cuts out. I've used 3 seperate hard drives and it still cuts out, so I shall post a HijackThis log in the malware forum just to rule that out., although my problems are quite evident now. Thanks for all your help

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
that is what we are here for glad to help in anyway possible, post back here with results we are as eager to here outcome as we are to hear problems

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I had the case off, and hence the 2 side case fans were disconnected. I reconnected the fans and put the side of the case back on, and the mobo temperature is running an average of 3C higher, as is the CPU, at the moment the processor temp is running at 49C with an average CPU usage of 9%. The fans blow directly onto the PCI/AGP slot area of the motherboard. I expect I will just have to buy another motherboard. Which I am slightly confused about. On the processor 'seat' on the motherboard it has 'Socket 462' written on it, but on GigaByte(and many other websites) it is said to be a Socket A motherboard. I'm not entirely sure, but isn't Socket A and 462 the same thing? I'm not exactly sure of the processor model number, and can't seem to see the model number in the Everest scan, but if I take the processor out and put it into a socket A or 462 motherboard,will it work with both, providing my processor specificaiton is supported by that socket-# motherboard? Thanks again

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Indeed, Socket A and Socket 462 are the same. Any motherboard you find should have a full list of supported processors on the net, as well.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Actually...I'm curious about processor temp. It's the only thing that hasn't been changed...I'm not so good with speedfan, so unless happy can pull a cpu temp out of that screenshot, pick up Everest free edition from here: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html
Go to the Sensor item, and let us know what it's showing for cpu temp?

for Kurenai'...launch both speedfan and everest....put them side by side...it will be apparent what sensor reads what....
while you have speedfan up...click on the S.M.A.R.T. tab...then on the ...perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard disk.....see attachment...will do this for you

Edited by happyrck, 11 November 2006 - 09:48 AM.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Posted Image
Here's the Speedfan result. The first picture was taken after the system had been running for a couple of hours, the second was as soon as the Temp3 temperature changed from -55 to 81C...flaming hot. I highlighted the Remote temp to show the average/highest/lowest temp before it cut out. So I am guessing these temperatures are far too hot for the motherboard to handle and hence it cuts out?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I can't any screenshots to load either...

you say "Temp3 temperature changed from -55 to 81C"....this is to hot...this is the crashing problem...what is your temp 3 by the way...if its the cpu then you need to remove heatsink and fan...clean cpu and heatsink...use artic silver thermal paste and reattach heatsink...the how to here...

http://articles.netw...printer-16.html

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
It took a while for screenshot to load for me also, his mother board temp is hovering in the 50 degree range and his cpu temp jumped from a safeish 55 degrees to 81, so clealry we have found the problem, whether it is your motherboards heat that is affecting your cpu I would not be able to tell you for sure but those temperatures are way too high.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
[quote name='Dan1887' his mother board temp is hovering in the 50 degree range and his cpu temp jumped from a safeish 55 degrees to 81, so clealry we have found the problem, [/quote]

yep

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I honestly have no idea what any of the terms Remote, Local, Temp 1, 2, 3 etc mean, all I know is having any temp over 45 when a system of this calibre is running idol is a problem. The fact the motherboard is running at 80C causing it to crash is just absurd. Therefore, I managed to pick up a brand new motherboard on ebay tonight, so I'll hopefully be able to begin testing/rebuilding by the start of the week.

Forgot to mention, I opened up HMonitor and under the 'Temperatures' section there's no reading for the Mainboard, CPU1 or Chassis, but the Power temp is given as 80C at the moment, meaning this is the same as the Temp3 reading from SpeedFan. To what exactly the 'Power' temperature refers to I have no idea. I presume it's something to do with the motherboard's power not the PSU as I've tested the system with so many PSU's I've now literally lost count.

Thanks again