Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet retail store

• Please log in to reply

ddday

ddday

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi geeks,

I work in retail and my boss would like me to put us on the internet. After much looking around, my confusion on where to begin is increasing with every click........

We will be selling under 100 items for now.
I would like to find the best E-commerce site as far as price and ease of set-up for a novice like myself.

Do you have any Geeks to Go specific sites that you would recommend as I would only trust information from you[color=#FF0000] as you have only done right by me.

I bought into BlueHoset for myself for a year to maybe get some practice and set up my own website, but I haven't got a clue what I'm doing as far as changing the look of the webite itself.

Any recommendations or help would be appreciated and as always, I will send in a donation to the greatest team online!!!

DDDAy

Advertisements

Angst

Angst

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Do you mean a host? Do you know HTML and or CSS? Do you know what kind of site your website will be, Flash, HTML, or PHP?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Your host will matter in this as to what e-commerce options they have and what e-commerce options they have the facilities for you to employ.

If you have zero to very little web design skills you might opt to pay someone to configure your e-commerce site.

If you feel confident then again, research your hosting options, weighing heavily on the e-commerce side and then balance them out to who provides you with the facilities that you require.

ddday

ddday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thank you both for your responses. :blink:

ANGST - I guess I am looking for a Host. I do not know html and don't even know what CSS means. I was looking at a website - www.siteground.com. It claims to have easy to set up templates, is Paypal friendly and reasonably priced. Is this the kind of website I could use for all aspects of a retail store - hosting, merchant account, template design, chopping cart etc? Are there any other costs invovled in this that I am not taking into consideration or that aren't included in this package.

THENOTCH - as far as e-commerce goes, would - www.siteground.com be an adequate site to use for this. My boss doesn't wish to hire someone to set this up until I have made a failed attempt at it.......... :whistling:
I have little or no experience in web design, but I am not afraid......

Thanks,
D

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Well, I don't know. I have never dealt with them and again you would have to evaluate your e-commerce need with the services they provide.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Two of the most troublefree on-line stores i have set up for small businesses are:

http://smallbusiness...26se3825pi3ai31

Which generally costs around $40 a month but gives you a shopping cart, credit card and paypal paying, and other benefits.

The other store i set up was a Ebay store for someone who did not mind letting older products go to auction so they could upgrade their inventory. The cost is around $30 a month, but there are auction and paypal, etc, fees to pay.

http://pages.ebay.co...onts/start.html

SRX660

ddday

ddday

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thanks to all, I appreciate your input. I will do some more research before making a decision.

Later,
DDDay

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I set up an Agora cart, and now I know what I would do differently. I also installed and configured a Zen Cart which I am pleased with. The software is free- it's the payment gateways you pay for. Some advice about building an online store- take really good pictures. Learn to edit them as needed. Write coherent descriptions for the products. Make sure that secure pages function properly. (The first store I ever set up was showing me what others were typing into the order form one night, and I could see the credit card numbers. Arrrgghhh!)) If your brick and mortar store is already set up to process credit cards, don't pay for additional services. The bank fees are high. Good luck.
Johanna