Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing programs to external disks

• Please log in to reply

putsch divinci

putsch divinci

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So here's the issue...

I'm trying to install a sound output recording program to my flash drive so i can use it when i bring it to work and use it at different computers, however this program installs a file to the C drive (probably so it can find out where the sound output is on the host computer) that is needed to execute the program. How can i find out where this file is and have this program stay completely on the flash drive without needing any files from the C drive?? or possibly find out where this file goes and just save a copy on the flash to copy onto my work computer??

any and all help is appreciated.

Thnx.

[ In the beginning of change a patriot is a scarce man, brave hated & scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him for then it cost nothing to be a patriot ]
[-mark twain-]

{L057 PhAtE}

Edited by putsch divinci, 07 November 2006 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Essentially, you can't. When you install a program in Windows, it makes quite a few changes, including (but not limited to) installing a registry key for that program. The only way this would possibly work is if you were able to do seperate installs of the program on each machine you wanted to run it from onto the flash drive. If you can do that, however, then why not just install it locally?