Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serial Key Problem

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I recently had a problem in which my Windows crashed and I had to reinstall it. Unfortunately my PC didn't come with a Windows disk because it was on the computer when i bought it. So I borrowed a Windows install CD from a friend who does some work on computers in his spare time. Well the CD was for Windows XP Professional and I previously had XP Home edition, so, the Serial key I had wouldn't work and I was forced to use the one he gave me for professional. the problem now is that I don't have a 'genuine' key and I am unable to use some programs like IE7, Windows defender, and some valuable security updates. I tried talking to Windows support but all they could tell me was to buy a new key... basically all there problem solving tips were to spend money, which I don't want to do. If I am able to find a way to get a Windows XP Home Edition CD would I be able to install that on the computer and use my real serial key and fix everything. And if so how would I do this without losing all my data. Can anyone help me fix this problem. I spent almost 2 months going back and forth with Microsoft support and got absolutely no where. Please help me.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I tried talking to Windows support but all they could tell me was to buy a new key...

to keep pro...this is the only option

If I am able to find a way to get a Windows XP Home Edition CD would I be able to install that on the computer and use my real serial key and fix everything

this would probably work as long as you get the same kind of XP home disk (look at the sticker with your product key...if it says OEM you'll have to get an oem disk of home)

And if so how would I do this without losing all my data.

this is where it might get a little sticky...to my knowledge you can't downgrade pro to home like you can upgrade home to pro...you may end up having to A: install home as a seperate os and then remove pro B: back up all your important data...then format the drive and start over with the home disk

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
What would you suggest? Paying for the new key, which I kinda cant afford right now, or the other way.

And if the later of the two, how would I go about that. Installing a separate OS and removing the other, or Backing everything up and formating.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you know your legit XP Home product key?
Johanna

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Yes, I have the original key but it doesn't work for the Professional edition, only Home, which I don't have.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you have the original valid key, you can borrow an XP cd of the same flavor and use your valid key. You will need to do a clean install to roll back, so back up your important files first. If you have an OEM machine, this may not work, and you're going to have to buy a new XP cd. Good luck.
Johanna

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
It this XP Pro CD only the operating system or an upgrade? :whistling:

The product key you have is only for Home. Pro has it's own key. Get a copy of XP home and there shouldn't be any problems with the key.

Edited by DaveC2003, 07 November 2006 - 05:41 PM.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Im aware of that. If I get the Home CD my problems will somewhat be over. The thing is how do I do that and without losing all my data

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
See post #6
Johanna

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I meant like how do I do it step by step. What do I do to back everything up and then install.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Backing Up in XP

Clean Install of XP

Johanna