Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need a basic ocr

• Please log in to reply

kamic

kamic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need a simple ocr that doesn't have zoning or any other advanced features. It just needs to be accurate, do batch, and preferably work off command line or linix. Any recomendations on which product I should get?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I actually found and installed a freeware OCR called "Simple OCR" at simpleocr.com today. Did your scanner not come with any software? I've got an Epson scanner at home and an HP at the office. Both softwares have an OCR option.

Edited by LindaGail, 09 November 2006 - 04:45 PM.

kamic

kamic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried downloading the simple ocr, but I don't think it fits my needs. It separates text into columns which messes up the data. It also requires a lot of time from the user to proof-read its results which are often inaccurate. I need the software to run without a user since I have thousands of files that need to be converted.
My biggest problem with ocr's is that they all try to separate the text into columns which is what most scanner software does. I need a way to turn that function off.