Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer won't even log on to windows

• Please log in to reply

jessleighj

jessleighj

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am a disabled college student with no income and no way to get my computer fixed. I have a Dell OptiPlex GX110 that was rebuilt and then sold to me. It has Windows 2000. It has always worked pretty well, except for the occasional error message. The last thing I did was remove a virus software that I got through my school and install avast. THen, I left for the weekend and when I came back the computer was crunching away and making really loud noises like something was loading but nothing was. I couldn't get anything to shut down so I turned turned off my power strip. Then I tried to start it again. It would get about halfway through loading Windows and then go to a blue screen. THe blue screen was partially cut off at the left side but this is what it said (what I could read):
*STOP 0x0000007B (0x82783030, 0x00000032, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)
ACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Then it says to try to run CHKDSK/F to see if there are viruses but I don't know what in the world that means. I have tried to start it in safe mode and all the other modes but the same thing happens with the same message every time. I have VERY VERY important information and documents on this computer that are not backed up and I need to figure out what to do. I would appreciate any help or insights. Thank you very much.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you get the Dell Diagnostic CD when you bought that computer? If so, run the hard drive diagnostics. If you didn't get the CD, it look slike you can download them from support.dell.com, choose Optiplex, then Drivers & Downloads. Here you'll be prompted to enter the service tag (left side of screen) or model (right side). Then choose the Microsoft Windows 2000, then click Find Downloads, to populate a list of downloads for your system. Choose Diagnostic Utilities.

jessleighj

jessleighj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can't even get past the Windows 2000 opening screen so I will not be able to download anything with that computer. I am using a friends computer to make these postings. Can I download it and then burn it to a cd to run in the other computer?
Thank you

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes. The diagnostics can be downloaded at a different computer. There are 3 executable files available; one that downloads as a zip file to create bootable diskettes, one that can create diskettes or place the diagnostics on the hard drive, and one that will only place the diagnostics on the hard drive. In your case, you'd need the one that creates bootable diskettes.

Good luck.