Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Menu Bar in Word

• Please log in to reply

techteacher8

techteacher8

• Pip
  • 4 posts
We are a small elementary school. One of our teachers cannot get the menu bar in word when she is logged into our network. I can log onto her computer as a different user and Word is fine. I have tried the fixes from the Microsoft site and from your topics. Nothing will work. Can someone help, please??

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what exactly have you tried....and which menu bar exactly?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Toolbar? If so, on her machine in Word, click View, Toolbars to see the entire list of possible toolbars. Those checked should be visible. You can compare her list with the other machine. Menu bar sounds to me like the Standard Toolbar (that has "File", "Edit", "View", etc).

techteacher8

techteacher8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The view of her word document is as if in full view. There are no toolbars or menu bar or task bar. Alt V does not bring up the view menu so I can try to change it. I have tried uninstalling word and reinstalling it. There might be something wrong with her template but I can't get to the normal.dot to delete it and let her start Word up fresh. Once the Word document window is there, blank as it is, I can't do anything with it other than close it. Very frustrating. Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does Word open like this

[attachment=11589:attachment]

techteacher8

techteacher8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, just the blue title bar. No menu bar.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What version of Word?

You should be able to search for normal.dot on her computer, so that you can delete it and allow Word to recreate it. On my computer, the most current normal.dot is at c:\microsoft office\templates.

I'd also suggest going to Add/Remove programs and repairing Word from there. You can try uninstalling Word then reinstalling it, or repairing the entire Office installation.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sounds like you might be stuck in Full View mode.
If you want to choose menu commands in full-screen mode, rest the pointer at the top of the screen, and the menu bar appears. For example, you might want to set options on the View tab (Tools menu, Options command) to specify which screen elements to display in full-screen mode.

To turn off full-screen mode and switch to the previous view, click Close Full Screen on the Full Screen toolbar, or press ESC.