Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fffffc02 Error and Removing an OS

• Please log in to reply

suzanne m

suzanne m

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, I'll just tell my story... My mom's lap top was broken (it had lost some sys 32 files, I believe) and I had agreed to fix it. I was going to use my windows XP home CD to reformat the hard drive and put windows back on. Now, I don't remember doing this, but I pulled her computer out a few days ago because she said if I could fix it, I could have it.

It's in the middle of installing Windows XP again (Like I said, I don't remember installing it in the first place!) it is now coming up with error fffffc02 and won't continue. I have some CDs with Linux OS on them and I was going to try and put Linux on there but I cannot even get to the CD, it brings me to the windows setup no matter how I tell it to boot.

I suppose my main question is, is there anyway I could delete the OS off of my computer? Reformat it? Since its in the middle of installing its not working with anything, I've googled a few different things but I still can't find out how to fix my exact problem.

Thank you!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This question was asked on the GtG forum a long time ago and was answered by our very own Dsenette here.

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=47399

And the answer is? Most likely the hard drive is dying in the laptop and needs replacing.

SRX660