Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router vs. Hub

• Please log in to reply

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello all,

I have two computers and I want both to share the same DSL internet connection; fair enough. I thought that all I needed was a hub to connect them to, then the hub to the modem for them to do this, but two computer shops I went to didn't sell hubs and told me to get a router. I'm not against the idea, but as my two computers have software-based firewalls I don't want a hardware version to complicate things. Or can one just simply plug in a router and not install the software to control its firewall and it will work as I intend?

Cheers,
Arf.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
A hub will just repeat the signal, and I dont see why it would not work, it would be less expensive, but for the cost of hardware now a days just getting the router with the added security wouldnt hurt.

Good luck

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
First, it depends on whether your DSL modem is acting as a router. Check the IP address of your computer connected to the DSL (Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right click on the Local Area Connection, go to Status, click Support tab). If the IP address starts with 10. 172. or 192., you could add a hub and share that way. Anything else, you would need a router.

Software firewalls do not protect from external threats nearly as well as hardware firewalls, and it's always a good idea to have one of each. There is no software to install to control the firewall of a router, and your typical home routers just do NAT firewalls anyway, nothing too high end.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll just echo some of the stuff above...you could probably do this stuff with a hub...or if you wanted to get real fancy you could do some fancy direct connect between the pcs ..if all you want to do is share the internet connection...

but...i've always found that routers tend to make alot of this stuff easier...especially if you're ever wanting to throw in a home network setup...(which you can do with a hub...it would just take a little more effor)...within reason...the routers marketed for home use are becomming more and more "plug and play"...they have their own DHCP servers...their own firewalls...they usually will automatically gain access to the internet connection as soon as their plugged in to the wall...and...especially if all you're doing is sharing the internet connection...require LITTLE OS manipulation if any

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for your replies! I'll let you know if I have more questions.

Cheers,
Arf.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Just to add one more thing to this, a hub would work, a router could be overkill if it is just sharing network resources or an internet connection at which point a switch is your better alternative.

They cost about the same as a hub, cheaper than a router and provide smart connections which a hub will not.

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
thenotch,

Can you enlighten me on the subject of "switch"?

Cheers,
Arf.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

thenotch,

Cheers,
Arf.

Sure,
A hub will forward every incoming packet out through ALL of it's ports, regardless of whether the port is being used or regardless of its destination. Since every packet is being sent to every port you get "collisions" which impede traffic on the network. Obiviously, this isn't real efficient.

A switch, on the other hand, isolates ports -- every received packet is sent out only to the port on which the target may be found (one caveat - if the proper port cannot be determined, then the switch will broadcast the packet to all ports). The switch is intelligently sending packets only where they need to go, and not everywhere willy-nilly. Obviously this IS more efficient.

Hope that clarifies things...

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

thenotch,

Cheers,
Arf.

Sure,
A hub will forward every incoming packet out through ALL of it's ports, regardless of whether the port is being used or regardless of its destination. Since every packet is being sent to every port you get "collisions" which impede traffic on the network. Obiviously, this isn't real efficient.

A switch, on the other hand, isolates ports -- every received packet is sent out only to the port on which the target may be found (one caveat - if the proper port cannot be determined, then the switch will broadcast the packet to all ports). The switch is intelligently sending packets only where they need to go, and not everywhere willy-nilly. Obviously this IS more efficient.

Hope that clarifies things...

Very well put, maybe a thread explaining basic networking equipment (routers, hubs, switches, cat5) and their ideal uses is needed so all the users have a nice quick reference guide to avoid searching threads upon threads. Just a thought :whistling:

Edited by Cilix, 10 November 2006 - 05:50 PM.